Uruguay v Ghana

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Scenes of desolation in SW2. Grown men sobbing in the street. Very, very sad.

But Gyan has nuts of steel. Stepping up for the first penalty in the shootout having missed the 'real' penalty would have been beyond most of us.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
zimzum42 said:
I am genuinely upset. That bunch of cheating pricks should never have been allowed to win

The equivalent of a penalty try is sorely needed for a situation like that

I have vowed never to set foot in Uragay
I'm sure the Uragayans will be bereft. :ohmy:

I agree with the general point though - a penalty goal would be a good innovation in the game.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
[quote name='swee'pea99']
I agree with the general point though - a penalty goal would be a good innovation in the game.[/QUOTE]

I completely disagree - you'll end up with fake claims and people deliberately aiming at hands etc. The rules as they are, are pretty clear. You get sent off for deliberate hand ball. A penalty kick gets given. Once you start giving goals regularly as punishment, you end up with a completely different game.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You do. The question being, a better game, or a worse game?

The penalty try was introduced to rugby effectively to prevent teams cynically and deliberately flouting the spirit of the game to achieve advantage. I think most people would feel it has been largely effective, to the benefit of the game, both as a spectacle and in terms of fairness. I see no reason why penalty goals should not achieve the same in football.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
[quote name='swee'pea99']You do. The question being, a better game, or a worse game?

The penalty try was introduced to rugby effectively to prevent teams cynically and deliberately flouting the spirit of the game to achieve advantage. I think most people would feel it has been largely effective, to the benefit of the game, both as a spectacle and in terms of fairness. I see no reason why penalty goals should not achieve the same in football.[/QUOTE]

Football and rugby are different, rubgy is a game that relies much more on formal penalties all round, so penalty tries are not big change. They would be a massive change for football. And yes, I think it would make it a worse game.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
Football and rugby are different, rubgy is a game that relies much more on formal penalties all round, so penalty tries are not big change. They would be a massive change for football. And yes, I think it would make it a worse game.
It needn't be a big change. Deliberate handball on the line preventing a goal = penalty goal
Aiming for hands wouldn't happen, that's madness.

Glad the Paragayans lost, really don't want any cheating Latinos to win this thing, would much rather some slightly less cheating Northern Europeans, preferably the Dutch, just to give die Bokke something to cheer about at home!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
zimzum42 said:
It needn't be a big change. Deliberate handball on the line preventing a goal = penalty goal

Oh, because no one ever tries to take advantage of the rules, now, do they? :ohmy:

Let's face it, the only reason you are advocating this is because Ghana lost. If it had been the other way around you'd be saying how it was perfectly fair with the rules we have. I was supporting Ghana too, but I can see exactly what Suarez was doing.

The fact is that Ghana had an opportunity to win the game as a result, but they blew it. Their big problem throughout the tournament was they they didn't score as many as they should have done. Sad, but that's how it was.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
Oh, because no one ever tries to take advantage of the rules, now, do they? :ohmy:

Let's face it, the only reason you are advocating this is because Ghana lost. If it had been the other way around you'd be saying how it was perfectly fair with the rules we have. I was supporting Ghana too, but I can see exactly what Suarez was doing.

The fact is that Ghana had an opportunity to win the game as a result, but they blew it. Their big problem throughout the tournament was they they didn't score as many as they should have done. Sad, but that's how it was.
True, I wanted Ghana to win, but had never thought of this issue until this game as I had never seen a blatant handball on the line like that. I am sure it happens quite a bit, but I don't watch football so much, so haven't seen it before.

It's the only situation I can think of which is more deserving of a goal than a normal penalty shout. Normally someone is brought down or whatever, but you cannot be sure they would have scored if the foul had not been committed. This is the first time I have seen it where a definite goal was stopped by deliberate foul play. Being a rugby fan more than a football fan, it seemed to me that a penalty try equivalent would have been appropriate in that situation, but I don't expect anything to change. If FIFA can't handle having hawkeye or whatever, then they are certainly never going to go for that

mangaman

theclaud said:
nailbiting.gif

What's this smiley theclaud?

I'm not an expert in the ones you have to be be bothered to scroll down to :laugh:

Is it a flossing your teeth smiley?

If so - can you not keep it off our football thread. We don't floss on threads like these. Just a a quick brush and a gargle of Listerine.

(Which is why we are single men posting at 2 in the morning :smile:)

mangaman

dellzeqq said:
I think it's nailbiting.

Oh yes

Sorry tc for being a bit patronising :laugh:

Anywhow - how was Felpham last week - I was in Birmingham at a work conference or I'd have ridden across and welcomed you all to the seaside.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
zimzum42 said:

Glad the Paragayans lost, really don't want any cheating Latinos to win this thing, would much rather some slightly less cheating Northern Europeans, preferably the Dutch, just to give die Bokke something to cheer about at home!
This is all very well in theory, but how do you decide whether a deliberate handball stopped a certain goal or not? The instances where it is clear cut are few and far between and mostly it would be open to interpretation, with long arguments and controversy going on both on the pitch and for ages afterwards.

The rules are fine as they are, the handling player gets sent off and the attacking team get a free shot at goal from twelve yards.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Smokin Joe said:
This is all very well in theory, but how do you decide whether a deliberate handball stopped a certain goal or not? The instances where it is clear cut are few and far between and mostly it would be open to interpretation, with long arguments and controversy going on both on the pitch and for ages afterwards.

The rules are fine as they are, the handling player gets sent off and the attacking team get a free shot at goal from twelve yards.
True - football does seem afraid of interpretation though. Perhaps if they players had some respect for the referee, as they generally do in rugby and cricket, then introducing such rules would not be a problem

the game would be nicer to watch and footballers might be better role models too

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
mangaman said:
Oh yes

Sorry tc for being a bit patronising :tongue:

Anywhow - how was Felpham last week - I was in Birmingham at a work conference or I'd have ridden across and welcomed you all to the seaside.
it was just wonderful. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Stick the 'genteel' ride in your diary.

Top Bottom