USA google maps cycle directions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Somebuddy

Über Member
Google maps in America has a beta version of giving directions by bicycle. I am planning a big tour from Boston ma to Prince Edward Island in Canada, should I trust google maps or purchase a map from adventure cycling association or buy a gps and make my own way. Anybody cycled in USA and can offer any advice. Thanks

User269

Of interest here also.

OP
OP
Somebuddy

Somebuddy

Über Member
I plan on flying to Boston and purchasing a new tour bike over there. Surly long haul trucker with disk brakes is looking fav.
I emailed a few bike shops in Boston and so far one reply suggests I buy a map from ACA. Not to trust google maps.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Some of the google map for bikes is good, some not. Alas, be prepared for Massachusetts road signage (not good! :smile: The maps most cyclists use (at least in New England) are called Rubel cycling maps -but again, be prepared for a level of detail that isn't like OS. Further, for some reason, some of these maps have become scarce recently. I'd recommend a GPS -which one? I don't know!

Cycling through New Hampshire (assuming you are going the coastal route) is fairly easy, and you can actually use the directions for the Granite State Wheelmen seacoast century:

http://www.granitestatewheelmen.org/SCC/SCC-Details.htm

Again I assume you will be cycling up the coast of Maine, which surprizingly, can have it's traffic challenges due to the main highway and the lack of bridges (bikes not allowed -at least in the southern portion, and I'll bet the northern part too!). If you go here:

http://www.maine.gov/mdot/opt/bike-faq.php

Note it says you can click on a link and provide your name and info to receive a Maine cycling map. Also, I'll recommend you do not try to cycle out of Boston Logan airport if you are flying in there. Oh yes, if you are looking for the LHT be very aware that many of the shops won't necessarily have your size in stock. Touring bikes aren't that common over here. Harris Cyclery (where Sheldon Brown used to work RIP is pretty good). Finally, if you are planning on coming over this year, I'd say get a move on. Weather up in the Canadian maritimes can get pretty fresh as you enter the Fall.

Whiskywheels or Somebuddy, or anyone is welcome to pm/email or post questions for me, and I'll do my best to help.

Google maps in America has a beta version of giving directions by bicycle. I am planning a big tour from Boston ma to Prince Edward Island in Canada, should I trust google maps or purchase a map from adventure cycling association or buy a gps and make my own way. Anybody cycled in USA and can offer any advice. Thanks

OP
OP
Somebuddy

Somebuddy

Über Member
Hey big thanks nigeyy for your help there. The tour is on! Well excited. The plane ticket is booked, 9 more sleeps.
I have had a reply from two bike shops that are near to my sisters in Lexington. One sells surly ( disk trucker ) bikes and the other specialized ( tricross). I will check both out when I arrive. I have ordered the map from adventure cycling.org and that's being sent to my sisters house.

I am very apprehensive, this is my first big tour. Thinking the hotel / guesthouse route maybe the best plan. Don't fancy carrying tent etc.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Lexington? Is that the Bikeway Source on the Minuteman Bike Trail? If so, I've had nothing but good luck from them, they seem to be pretty good. Again, unless you want to be disappointed, I'd recommend you check to make sure they have your size in stock. FYI, Lexington is a nice place to cycle, particularly going out to Carlisle via the Minuteman Bike path (take a ride out to Great Brook Farm State Park -they have an ice cream stand in the dairy where you can see the cows.) I also think going up the coastal route of New Hampshire is nice too (I did the Seacoast).

I can understand you not wanting to take a tent with the extra weight -though be aware in northern Maine and New Brunswick, hotels and guest houses will be very rare on some stretches. Northern Maine really isn't well populated, and you'll see a lot of... trees.....

Well, good luck, hope you have a great time!

Top Bottom