Use of protien

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
My mate keeps telling me I should be taking some sort of protien shakes because I'm cycling . I'm only doing x2 15miles a week and a30mile on a sunday .
Should I be taking protien shakes and if so what sort and how much . Thanks

no

dfthe1

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...rs-flushing-money-down-the-toilet-say-experts

Tom Sanders, professor emeritus of nutrition and dietetics at King’s College London, said people were being taken in by “nutri-babble”. “There’s been a lot of hype in gyms pushing high-protein shakes, there’s also a need to get rid of a waste product from the dairy industry, which is whey protein,” he said. “It’s a lot of crap, a way of selling a cheap product at a high price.”

Can't remember whether it was "Trust me, I'm a Doctor" or "The Truth About..." on the Beeb, but they did a feature on supplements and protein shakes etc. The verdict was that they're a waste of money - your body self-regulates on nutrient uptake, and any excess just gets pissed away when you go for a wee.

Their recommendation was that you're better off having a glass of milk (which is an excellent recovery drink btw) and / or a slice of wholemeal toast with peanut butter or something of that ilk.

In other words, just eat a good, balanced diet.

gaijintendo

Veteran
They are a scam, but it is utterly genius.

• You workout hard.
  • You get a sweet reward for that, which also makes you feel good because it's good for you.

That right there, is incredible positive reinforcement. Why would you not like a milkshake as a reward for hard work? Sounds awesome, and completely the kind of thing you miss as an adult. It's a marketers dream.

It is also completely unnecessary, even if you have a moderately crap UK diet.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I agree most of the marketing is a scam but that doesn't mean protein isn't something that can help when doing exercise, or something to supplement with to help with ones diet.

Absolutely. But when your doctor looks at your blood and diagnoses a protein deficiency, he'll probably give you some powders for free.

I guess you might want to bulk up, but that doesn't always equate to power when cycling...

...and also strictly speaking, the thread title might be generic and my reply too, but we are talking about two fifteen mile spins a week. This isn't competitive CrossFit, or whoever needs these things.

Top Bottom