Use of the word 'pimping'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Talking of Google-fu... :rolleyes: Yeah words generally come from somewhere. Then people argue about them a lot. But it's not really the words that they are arguing about.
I think the OP was.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Words change their meaning due to usage over time, as is demonstrably the case with "pimp". Currently, "pimp" is used in association with improving or changing bikes, cars, houses, cakes but the OP refers to the offensive American usage. Rather strange as there's probably a generation growing up who only see positive connotations of the word. Wouldn't it be better to let the offensive meaning wither and die naturally, drowned out by the positive usage rather than try to censor using the word entirely and thus preserve the offensive meaning?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Words change their meaning due to usage over time, as is demonstrably the case with "pimp". Currently, "pimp" is used in association with improving or changing bikes, cars, houses, cakes but the OP refers to the offensive American usage. Rather strange as there's probably a generation growing up who only see positive connotations of the word. Wouldn't it be better to let the offensive meaning wither and die naturally, drowned out by the positive usage rather than try to censor using the word entirely and thus preserve the offensive meaning?

Nice 'splainin', Diogenes - ta. And what, in your view, is the connection between flashy accoutrements designed to boost status through the display of possessions, and the ownership, commodification and sale of one class of people by another? Take as long as you like. You may refer to time and usage in your answer...

Joey Shabadoo

Nice 'splainin', Diogenes - ta. And what, in your view, is the connection between flashy accoutrements designed to boost status through the display of possessions, and the ownership, commodification and sale of one class of people by another? Take as long as you like. You may refer to time and usage in your answer...

What would you like the word to be associated with - positive things or negative things?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
What would you like the word to be associated with - positive things or negative things?
How about fluffy kittens?

ce357183551d5622f6fe67d9621889e6.jpg

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Oh it can certainly accommodate multiple meanings for words, but should we concede to the OP and censor a word because of one meaning?
Another person with no power over you asking you to consider the meanings of the words you use is discussion, not censorship. HTH.

Joey Shabadoo

I think your understanding of pimps is based upon 1970s US ghetto culture and not based in reality at all.

Top Bottom