Use Smart Trainer with e-bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ebennettr

I have a Trek verve+ ebike and would like to use it on a smart trainer, such as Kickr. The Wahoo site says e-bikes are not compatible with the unit. They are closed this week so I can't follow up but if I remove battery and use it as "not e-bike" what difference would it make. The power drive isn't on the rear wheel so other than the bike is heavier than most I can't see why. But I'm not that experienced. Advice or personal experience would be appreciate.

Thank you

Drago

Legendary Member
You could do. While you're at it a set of those Schwarzenegger helium filled dumbells would make an excellent addition for an all over workout.

SydZ

Über Member
An electric motor, when not being driven, becomes a generator when spun. I may be wrong but I suspect in normal use the battery would take up any charge. With the battery removed it’s less clear where any charge generated will go.

Ebike motor systems do not have a mechanism to recharge the battery - the motor is set up to only operate as a motor

so - yes - I presume it will generate some charge as a generator and motor are similar - but what charge there is is not going anywhere anyway

and ebikes are perfectly OK running with no battery

so using it in this way will not cause any problems with the ebike systems

as far as the 'smart trainer' is concerned then I can;t see why it makes any difference to the system at all - how can it tell??
Unless, of course, it is very 'smart' and you need to tell it what make and model of bike you are using it with - although I don;t know if any work that way (or why they would???) and you could always lie to it :eek:

Clearly, if it is connected to an on-line system so you can ride with others then there would be a possibility of 'some people' using this concept to look good and get fast times and KOM (QOM) and all that - but the OP says it will not be used that way - so I don;t see a problem.

CXRAndy

Guru
The only issue would be in Zwift, would be the racing. Zwift has software spies to detect abnormal power to heart rate performance. General riding Zwift wont care or monitor.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The only issue would be in Zwift, would be the racing. Zwift has software spies to detect abnormal power to heart rate performance. General riding Zwift wont care or monitor.
If theres no battery connected then there is no motor use, so power will all be provided by the rider……and not the motor…….

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I have a Trek verve+ ebike and would like to use it on a smart trainer, such as Kickr. The Wahoo site says e-bikes are not compatible with the unit. They are closed this week so I can't follow up but if I remove battery and use it as "not e-bike" what difference would it make. The power drive isn't on the rear wheel so other than the bike is heavier than most I can't see why. But I'm not that experienced. Advice or personal experience would be appreciate.

Thank you
I have used my Cube with the Fazua system on a Kickr18 on bkool, Zwift and BigRingVR with no issues at all. That was with the assist both off and on. Yes it make the ride easier but I don't see the point other than to see if it will work and how much you'll get out of it. The rides done whilst doing this were deleted from all systems :angel: :laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom