Use the cycle path!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Pedestrians do not deliberately spread out on shared paths to obstruct cyclists, they spread out to walk alongside one another because that's a social thing to do. They're being sociable, rather the same as cyclists riding two abreast, when safe/reasonable so to do.
Ah, I deliberately said 'unconsciously'. Yes, they do spread out to be sociable, but I'm sure that there's more to it than that (it's not a 'get in the way of cyclists' thing). There's some law in physics that states (I think) that the molecules of a gas will expand to fill a space, with the molecules being roughly equally spaced, and I think there's something in the human brain that imitates this when people are walking along a road. Where I live the streets are mostly just over a car's width, with pavements either side, but most pedestrians will walk in the middle of the road, well spaced out. It's really quite funny to observe, if you're not in a hurry.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'm pretty sure you can search and find some grumbling on here about people walking, jogging and probably more in the new London CSHs. Pedestrians are not banned from them AFAIK.

Pedestrians are not banned from walking in the road either, but I'd suggest in both cases it's quite rare.

Shared use paths though, pedestrians naturally spread out over the cycling part, as it's usually just a painted line on an existing pavement. That's what makes shared use paths so crap.

Time all road users realised speed limits are maximum not minimum.

I am both a cyclist and a motorist. I believe speed limits are more like guidelines than actual limits, and sometimes not even those. Speed limits are often ridiculously low outside of built up areas. For this reason I will ignore the speed limits and drive to the conditions rather than the law. Built up areas aside, this usually means I drive above the speed limit. No point driving slowly when you can safely drive quickly.

Cycle paths around my way dont seem too bad. I use them myself on my commute but there are 1 or 2 that are terrible. I do agree that there arent nearly enough of them in busy areas.

400bhp

Guru
Like @Dogtrousers I have just picked up this thread......some good points made.
The A56 from Warrington (Walton) goes all the way to the M56......maybe 4 miles at a guess. As you can imagine it is a major dual carriageway......IMO too dangerous for cylists.
Running alongside is a newish cycle path. But I regularly see cyclists ignoring it and cycling on the dual carriageway.......it is beyond me why they do it.....I assume there is good reason but I cant see it.

It's bloody obvious why they don't:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3...4!1szpFSjeKLSKMdOliV9y1NwQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3...4!1szpFSjeKLSKMdOliV9y1NwQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Obstacles at junctions & the path runs down one side of the road. Another sorry excuse for a cycle path.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
I believe speed limits are more like guidelines than actual limits, and sometimes not even those.
Me too, that's why I don't mind taking the ocassional call on my handheld phone, or fiddling with my tablet, or maybe having a quick can of lager just to quench my thirst when I'm on the road in the car. It's all fine, they're only guidelines, and some of them aren't even that.

Jimidh

Veteran
I don't ride on cycle paths on my road bike because I want to ride it fast without having to worry about having to stop or slow down for pedestrians, dogs , horses , children and various combinations of the above.

I think it's safer for me and them that I'm on the road.

On the MTB/CX in happy to use cycle paths and shared routes as I'm in a different cycling mode and not as focussed on the speed.

I find a quick shout of get the Fck out my way usually clears a path quickly enough to get myself past most groups!!

Seriously though I don't use a bell ( heaven forbid I'm too pro for that) -a nice excuse me in a loud voice and a thank you seems to work well.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Where I live the streets are mostly just over a car's width, with pavements either side, but most pedestrians will walk in the middle of the road, well spaced out.
Well that's grockles in Topsham for you. Can always avoid that bit of the NCN by going across the level crossing.

I am both a cyclist and a motorist. I believe speed limits are more like guidelines than actual limits, and sometimes not even those. Speed limits are often ridiculously low outside of built up areas. For this reason I will ignore the speed limits and drive to the conditions rather than the law. Built up areas aside, this usually means I drive above the speed limit. No point driving slowly when you can safely drive quickly.

Cycle paths around my way dont seem too bad. I use them myself on my commute but there are 1 or 2 that are terrible. I do agree that there arent nearly enough of them in busy areas.
I thought that bloke from 'Safespeed' was dead???

OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

Is now a bad time to mention the lack of bike lights ? We all know Aldi are selling some pretty cheap, So whats the excuse this time?
Tonight while waiting for my bus I counted 4 cyclist without lights. One mounting the pavement then back onto another road. Finally as I was coming into Lancaster I set off from the lights. Checked my off side mirror and a cyclist come tearing down the side of my bus, mounted the pavement in front of me, cut across a small shopping precinct, through a walkway with a clear sign saying no cycling and yes, No lights. Passenger at the side of me waiting to get off the bus also saw it and his words were "They deserve all they get" Shaking his head. I had to mention im also a cyclist and told him not to judge us all the same.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Is now a bad time to mention the lack of bike lights ?

upload_2016-10-3_23-7-23.png

jarlrmai

Veteran
Bikes are cheap, really cheap sometimes (and sometimes they are stolen!), they are accessible practical vehicles as such they are used by all spectrums of society, some spectrums of society are of an age and social inclination where riding a bike is good way to get around when conducting extra-legal employment.

Unfortunately this means for some reason if you ride a bike for pleasure and generally abide by the law you are judged alongside Darren from the estate, who rides his Specialized MTB, no handed on his phone at 10pm the wrong way down the main road with no lights on wearing a black tracksuit and a baseball cap to protect his precious cranium.

However I do wonder if the elderly VW camper van enthusiast forums have people coming on there asking them to explain the behaviour of Darren's slightly older brother who somehow managed to get hold a Corsa and likes to play his music though 12 inch subwoofers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom