Use the cycle path!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobWard

Can somebody give me a good reason why some! cyclist don't use the cycle path when there is one provided. ?

Today between Ambleside and Windermere I was held up 4 times by cyclist not using the cycle path. The traffic ahead was held up by another one so tailbacks were now in progress. One cyclist even joined the tailbacks! All he had to do was go onto the shared pavement for cyclist just across the road! And he could of beat all the traffic. The blue sign was very clear to his right but still he refused to use it?

Whats going on ?. Why do so many cyclist refuse to use cycle paths that are provided?

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
There are many, many reasons why cyclists don't want to use cycle lanes, such as poor maintenance, poor design, cluttered with slow riders, the list goes on and on. I am sick of people yelling "cycle lane" at me, and then telling me that I shouldn't be on the road, blah, blah, blah.

If you could get rid of every other cyclist on the road or every other motorvehicle, which would you choose?

EDIT: And cyclists are traffic too.

Last edited:

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Round here, they can be a bumpy as hell at 20mph+ not to mention it's hedge cutting and ploughing season, so punctures are far less likely on a surface cleared by car tyres. If it's a good, smooth wide path and clean, I'd use it every time.

gavintc

Guru
Can somebody give me a good reason why some! cyclist don't use the cycle path when there is one provided. ?

Today between Ambleside and Windermere I was held up 4 times by cyclist not using the cycle path. The traffic ahead was held up by another one so tailbacks were now in progress. One cyclist even joined the tailbacks! All he had to do was go onto the shared pavement for cyclist just across the road! And he could of beat all the traffic. The blue sign was very clear to his right but still he refused to use it?

Whats going on ?. Why do so many cyclist refuse to use cycle paths that are provided?
Are you a cyclist ? If you are, you will be able to name 3 without even thinking.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Unlike a cycle path, which will stop at a junction whereas you could have continued on the road.

See; just thought of another reason not to use them!

Russell

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Too many junctions for side turnings is my main reason for avoiding a path.

I'm not fast, but other users make it irresponsible to cycle on a path at much more than 10mph, which is a bit slower than I usually want to go.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
If it's a good, smooth wide path and clean, I'd use it every time.
...without children on scooters, dogs on wander leads, walkers meandering (or if two or more, spreading out to fill the entire path), going where I want to go (not where it was easiest to put the path), not crossed by multiple driveways... etc.

Yes, I'd use them then too. Just that I haven't found one like that round here.

OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

Its a pretty decent cycle path. I can understand if it was bumpy and hedges etc etc. Ive seen good quality bikes on these paths along with cyclist who look like they know their onions. And even the casual cyclist. Its a 50/50. Some do, some dont?
Its the same coming out of Windermere towards Kendal. That road is national speed limit with a lot of blind bends. But still, I see cyclist using it instead of the cycle path.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mostly they are full of glass, appalling surface and at the moment, many are full of leaf crap and worse still conkers!

Not to mention the fact that they are full of parked cars much of the time too!

A bit like bus lanes, buses can stray into the road too ;)

And there is no obligation to use them on the part of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom