Use the cycle path!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Having used the cyclepath mentioned myself I'll just point out that it is not a complete connection. For the most part it is just a pavement that cycling is permitted on. It runs alongside the road on a nice wide bit where there is room to overtake but disappears again when the road narrows and it would be useful.

It's a half hearted exercise and I dislike it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They aren't suitable most of the time, and certainly not for doing 20 plus MPH on. If you've ridden enough, you'll know how poor, and dangerous most cycle paths are.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Its the same coming out of Windermere towards Kendal. That road is national speed limit with a lot of blind bends. But still, I see cyclist using it instead of the cycle path.
And why shouldn't they?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Having used the cyclepath mentioned myself I'll just point out that it is not a complete connection. For the most part it is just a pavement that cycling is permitted on. It runs alongside the road on a nice wide bit where there is room to overtake but disappears again when the road narrows and it would be useful.

It's a half hearted exercise and I dislike it.

These are usually the most dangerous - dumping you on the road again. Far safer to stay on the road. You should see the mess Manchester Council is making of Oxford Road with new cycle 'lanes' - seriously dangerous and I no doubt there will be far more cyclist and pedestrian injuries.

classic33

Leg End Member
You know a lot of these cyclists deaths where the cyclist"sneaks to the inside". Often they're just in the cycle lane. You are cycling along and a lorry turns left across you. No chance. Dead. Cycle paths are great at putting cyclists in this position.
I take it you were driving at the time!

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Well, @RobWard, we've given you plenty of reasons why we shouldn't use cycle lanes, so let's have some of yours as to why we should, please.

OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

Im not bitching here. I was just asking why so many dont.. for example the pic below is the A591 coming out of Windermere. The cycle path is just to the right. The road is national speed limit with a lot of blind bends.

Screenshot_2016-10-02-21-35-50-1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom