Use the cycle path!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
To be fair, the pictured road is a different one to that in the OP. I would use the path on that one which does link to sensible places although it would be nice if it could be a little wider and smoother (there is space to do that) and if the road crossing at Ings was better.

I was also a bit confused because the A591 from Ambleside to the Bowness turning is plenty wide enough for a vehicle to pass a bike.

Looks to me as if it used to be three lanes.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Today between Ambleside and Windermere I was held up 4 times by cyclist not using the cycle path.

All he had to do was go onto the shared pavement for cyclist just across the road!
I've ridden there, it's barely adequate for my very slow speed.
Lots of side exits you need to give way to, lots of pedestrians, potholes.
If I was any faster I would have been on the smooth road alongside it like a flash!

U

User482

To be fair, the pictured road is a different one to that in the OP. I would use the path on that one which does link to sensible places although it would be nice if it could be a little wider and smoother (there is space to do that) and if the road crossing at Ings was better.
So the OP is posting a picture of a cycle path which isn't the path he was referring to in the OP?

vickster

Legendary Member
Reminds me I had a cockwomble of the first order today. Happily riding along in a bike lane today inside slowly moving traffic when Mr Ar$ehole started to encroach the lane for no good reason. I shouted careful, shook my head and Mr Penisface decided as a punishment to swerve deliberately across the lane in front of me and brake!

There are v few times I wish I had a camera, this was one of them. Utter prick :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I've ridden there, it's barely adequate for my very slow speed.
Lots of side exits you need to give way to, lots of pedestrians, potholes.
If I was any faster I would have been on the smooth road alongside it like a flash!
In other words, if you know it, you know it's not really adequate. And if you don't know it, your assumption that it probably isn't adequate (like most shared-use paths) will be correct.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
That's not the picture of the path mentioned in the op, eh?
The shared pavement that was first mentioned is completely different!

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Finally!!! A sensible answer !!! Thank You !!!
If you think that that's the first sensible answer in this thread, then you need to go back and have another read of some of the other posts.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Finally!!! A sensible answer !!! Thank You !!!
I think you'll find with a little more reflection that there were other sensible answers too, born out of extensive experience.

Though from my extensive experience I think you'll find that the technical term for these inadequate ribbons of tarmac is "f**cking cycle path". Well, it must be, because every motorist who passes me and thinks that I'm under a duty to get out of their way always calls them that, as they tell me to get on them.

OP
OP
RobWard

RobWard

I think you'll find with a little more reflection that there were other sensible answers too, born out of extensive experience.

Though from my extensive experience I think you'll find that the technical term for these inadequate ribbons of tarmac is "f**cking cycle path". Well, it must be, because every motorist who passes me and thinks that I'm under a duty to get out of their way always calls them that, as they tell me to get on them.

I agree, thats why I hit the like on other replies.

hatler

Guru
There are a many many reasons not to use cycle lanes or cycle paths. And for any given path there will be multiple reasons not to use it. Exactly which set of reasons will depend upon the specific path / time of the day / other factors.

In this country there is generally only one 'reason' to use a cycle lane/path, and that's to allow vehicle drivers to go as fast as they expect/hope to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom