Used German cars value.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apparently, the part ex value of Audi's, Vw's, Mercedes and BMW's has plummeted by between 4 and 5000 pounds according to the car dealer my son is getting his new car from. ( Not any of those I must add).

The car dealership is trying to pull a fast one, used car prices are way higher than last year.

"Used car prices in the UK have risen for the 26th month in a row and are now an average of £3,400 higher than a year ago."

Tell your son to get other quotes.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Wasn’t trying to part-ex an old German car was he…?

Renault Kadjar with very low mileage as he works abroad a lot. He was offered 2700 pounds less for it presently than 6 months ago when he ordered his new car which is ready for collection now.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Apparently, the part ex value of Audi's, Vw's, Mercedes and BMW's has plummeted by between 4 and 5000 pounds according to the car dealer my son is getting his new car from. ( Not any of those I must add).

Anything to back that up, as generally used car values are high do to low stock caused by less new cars being produced due to silicon chip shortages.

Not sure I'm inclined to believe said car salesman🤣

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Good time to get a nice A6 Estate or 530d Estate for bike carrying duties ?

quite a sloping back on german estates, an old Volvo V70 is a much better shape, perfect for sliding several bikes in, upside down with front wheel and seat post removed.

vickster

Legendary Member
Renault Kadjar with very low mileage as he works abroad a lot. He was offered 2700 pounds less for it presently than 6 months ago when he ordered his new car which is ready for collection now.

Suggest he gets a quote from WeBuyAnyCar or Motorway to see how they compare to the PX offer

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Perhaps this only applies to nearly new cars, but it's not the case around here for "used" cars at all. Out of interest I did a national search for my exact car (Diesel Passat) and prices were the same for the age and mileage as I paid last November. Which were high I agree, but if anything the prices escalated quickly at the start of 2021

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Often you find in poor countries Toyota dominate because people can afford to run them but in countries with high disposable incomes less reliable marques sell well. Britain is going to have much greater poverty in the next few years and incomes will be tight for a huge percentage of the population so I think the type of cars we buy will change a fair bit many will lose access to a car and others will buy cheaper simpler cars.
I think what happened is that Toyota gained a reputation for good reliable motors and it kinda became the standard if you wanted a used car. Down here older models of these predominate. We have two Toyotas and a Polo which we’ve had to park up as it had become too troublesome. They bring many over from Japan and swap the steering wheel over, which is how our Vitz (Yaris) came. Our Toyota Matrix came from the States (an estate Corolla, also made in the same Canadian factory as the identical Pontiac Vibe) drives like a new car almost. They are difficult to beat.
It’s different in the U.K. as most new cars are company purchases or leased so reliability or resale doesn’t come into it. Look how popular Range Rovers are and they’re the the most unreliable and fast depreciating motors around.

Last edited:
Used car prices are mad at the minute. I can believe big German cars are harder to sell now. The valuable ones are really expensive. I bought Mrs667 a 2013 Peugeot 107 as our other car died. It was a very low mileage one but we paid £3,400, which was exactly the same as the Webuyanycar price!

German cars used to be quality items. Now, they are very much made to a price, leased to anyone who is lacking in self-awareness. A 25 year old can lease a brand new, 330bhp BMW for £100/week. People like that used to be the market for older German cars.

I have a new neighbours a few doors down. I'm sure they are nice people, but a family renting a modest 2 bed terraced house with a brand new BMW M3 and an Audi Q8 for his wife makes me think they're not good at money.

Each to their own. I am pleased with my £850 Vauxhall which I drive once a month. My bike uses much less fuel than a Tesla and it's way cooler. :becool:

D

Deleted member 1258

My parents are unfortunately potentially in the market for a replacement car. Some of the prices for 10+ year old small automatic hatchbacks are eye watering!! I've seen 5k+ for a 15 year old Micra! :wacko:

eleven year old Suzuki Swift, We Buy Any Car earlier this year, initial quote was £3500, only a grand less than I paid for it 5 years ago.

Top Bottom