Used mtb under £150

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
So after not really getting into road cycling im thinking of trying abit of off road riding, just thrashing around the local woods really.

I want to try pick up a used mountain bike, for under 150, i know im not going to get much but spent a small fortune to find out road cycling isnt really for me so dont want to do the same again!

Any recommendations on what bikes to look out for?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
For that price, look for a classic 90's MTB without suspension. Cheap suspension, or a new 'cheap' MTB will be a dogs dinner, and heavy, especially if 'full suspension.

You could look for a nearly new Carrera MTB - e.g. Vengeance or similar - not bad bikes at all - my son's had one about 6-7 years, no issues.

If you are comfortable with bike fettling (some stuff will likely need replacing and everything should be checked/lubed that needs lubing) I'd look for some 90s steel. You could get such a thing for as little as £50 or less. I'd avoid suspension.
Edit just seen fossy's post posted while i was posting :smile:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A year and a half ago I picked up an as-new condition 1994-built Raleigh 18-23 steel framed MTB for £20 including the cost of the petrol to collect it. All I had to do was put some air in the tyres & lubricate the brake cables before I could ride it. Didn't need any parts, not even tyres. For some reason old Raleighs rarely seem to make much money, despite being well made bikes. I often see junk suspension BSOs that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole sell for more! The secondhand MTB market is a strange place at times. For £150 I would expect to get a rare Reynolds 531 framed bike in very clean condition!

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Specialized muka. Felt
Screenshot_20190708-093406_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20190708-093343_Facebook.jpg
Marin
Screenshot_20190708-093311_Facebook.jpg

These three bikes I've got my eyes on between 100 and 150
Any of them worth getting?

vickster

Legendary Member
Specialized muka. Felt
View attachment 474497 View attachment 474498
Marin
View attachment 474499

The Myka is a WSD bike so assuming you're a bloke, you'll want to check the geo and colourway suits

Post the details of the bikes, not just tiny pictures so people can look at the specs and compare. I'd go for a rigid fork though (don't like suspension even if it's locked)

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Depends in what sort of mechanical condition they are in. Personally I'd go for for an older all rigid model as four previous poster have suggested.
How about this tidy Raleigh for just forty notes;
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/...ntain-bike-15-gears-26-inch-wheels/1345633051
Check for usual wear and tear in the drivetrain, headbearings, and especially the fork. Older bikes can be afflicted with tyres cracking. Also make sure the frame is straight. Budget disc brakes can give problems.
After checking them over I'm sure at least one will come up trumps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Post the details of the bikes, not just tiny pictures so people can look at the specs and compare. I'd go for a rigid fork though (don't like suspension even if it's locked)

This is basically all the sellers have listed is what the bike is and the frame size they're cheap bikes I doubt the Sellers even know the specs.

Ok thanks guys giving me some food for thought I'll have a search for the older rigid style frame

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Ok how do these specs look I've got no idea what half of it means...

This is another Marin bike I'm looking at for 175
Screenshot_20190708-110438_Facebook.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190708-110434_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190708-110434_Facebook.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Screenshot_20190708-112839_Facebook.jpg
Thanks, that marin i posted above just looks like i get more for my money but i dont really know anything about them!

Most of the parts he says are recently fitted so he says and i do prefer the look of it and with front suspension

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Marin are good bikes, i used to have one.
Looks okay but you won't know until you can check it over. What parts has he "fitted" recently? Check the fork actually works and if you ride it the gears are selecting and not slipping. Budget to replace service items like chain, brake pads and cables.
Good luck.

Top Bottom