Usinbg 9 speed chain on 8 speed system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
Ok, so the 9 speed chain is a smidge narower but has anyone used one on an 8 speed gear system?

And anyone know if you can buy Shiman chain or any other make by the metre?

walker

KMC do some 8-9 speed chains also.

softpeadals

02GF74 said:
Ok, so the 9 speed chain is a smidge narower but has anyone used one on an 8 speed gear system?

Not a problem using a 9 speed chain on an 8 speed set up. I use one on my old Sora equiped 8 speed winter trainer bike, runs fine and changes up and down the cassette cleanly.
Never heard of chains being sold by the metre,the normal spec is the number of links .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same here - using a Dura Ace 9 speed chain on my 8 speed system - gives less front mech rub as well. Works fine. and got it for about £18

bonj2

02GF74 said:

9 speed chain on 8 speed system - fine.
8 speed chain on 9 speed system - probably will work but will be a little cranky, not so good.

by the metre? nah, you normally just get 110 links. if it's for a recumbent just buy several chains and powerlink them together.

you can use a sram chain on a shimano system no problem, in fact genuine sram powerlink chains are my preferred chain whether shimano or sram drivetrain. you can actually however use the powerlinks themselves on shimano chains.

Shimano chains are considerably wider than SRAM or KMC as they have a different (Shimano-patented) joining system, where the rivets stick out and are supposed to be caught by the ramps and pins on the chainrings/cogs and give better gearchanges
- if I remember, a Shimano 9sp chain is actually about the same width as SRAM or KMC 8sp...

<edit> yes, chain widths are

Shimano HG 8 speed = 7.4mm wide
Shimano HG 9 speed = 6.6mm wide

SRAM 8 speed = 7.1mm wide
SRAM 9 speed = 6.9mm wide

Top Bottom