Using a torch as a front light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Last night out on the ride in a country road which was very dark my 15-year-old Exposure Joystick did not seem as bright as my fellow travellers so maybe new front light time.
I was wondering if you can just use a decent torch anchored to the handlebar without having to pay premium for a 'Bike Light'?

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
get a set of lights from Aldi (about £15) next time they have a cycling special on and you'll be fine.

I used to use torches but they're not designed to rattle and often found them scrolling through brightness levels and/or flicking on and off.

I've used AA-based torches (mainly from Fenix, but also Tesco!!!), probably all with CREE LEDs I think?. Not had any problems. Get a fish-block rubber mounty thing. USE A LANYARD.

HOWEVER they are not shaped beams, so if use them at usefully bright levels you WILL ruin the vision of oncoming peds and riders. so
PLEASE use considerately.

IMO they are best as a "hi-beam" with a proper shaped-beam bike light as your main always-on light. On a normal road modern lights are fine upto 25mph. Off-road, yeah, I get the need for Magicshines etc.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks. It was just a thought, as I consider the high cost of cycle specific lights.might be due the captive market.
No, I think it's because UK shops mainly sell expensive junk, looking to maximise the profit, resulting in a shoot marketing war about lumens and distances rather than useful light on the road. Some of the K-marked German supermarket specials are good for about £15 as mentioned, but they're usually only twice a year. It's pretty easy to buy so-called "Bobby dodgers" minimal legal flashing lights for a few quid now but if you want lights good enough to see on dark roads, options are limited.

You can get a decent (keyword: StVZO) cycle-specific light from Germany online for under €30 easily, under €20 if you shop around, but you have to pay more postage. The last one I bought was a Dansi Melbourne but it was a couple of years ago and tech changes fast.

There's a special place in hell for people who use torches to dazzle other road users - and given that many bad drivers don't slow down when dazzled, the dazzlers may get to hell sooner than they think!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Moon Meteor Vortex has sorted my country lane commute for a few winters now. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372486290975

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Thanks all. I opted to get a Bike Hut 1600 lumens. Bit worried about the mounting options as the rubber strap might break through fatigue.

• Sad
Reactions: mjr

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Thanks all. I opted to get a Bike Hut 1600 lumens. Bit worried about the mounting options as the rubber strap might break through fatigue.
just please don't be one of those [insert preferred insult] who mount them horizontally on their bars, dazzling everyone in sight. It beggars belief how many cyclists just don't think... and I bet they're the first to complain if a driver didn't dip from full beam when approaching them. :okay:

Please don't fret I know how to mount a bike light. I drive too.
Most people posting these comments - such as me, usually! - aren't giving YOU a lecture :smile: We're having a sort-of scatter-gun rant at all the offenders who have pi55ed us off! I guess there's a small chance someone will read these comments and change their ways. But mainly we're having a rant :P

Anyway, the thing with NON-shaped beams (also "conical") is that you need to point them VERY down to avoid ruining other's night. Your intuition is to point them a little down, maybe a spot 8-12m ahead? And that's still too high for other road-users.

I've been on both ends of this. And I've cycled in front of one, that's almost as bad ...

Top Bottom