Using a torch as a front light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Old French touring bikes would often have clips on the front rack to take a torch, back in the days when even the brightest torch was a glow-worm compared with today's LEDs.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I go out mainly on club rides, they'll soon let me know if I'm not following proper bike light etiquette.
They probably won't because UK club riders include the worst offenders, flashing their dazzle bombs even in daylight, and they won't want you to point out their emperor is also naked!

get a set of lights from Aldi (about £15) next time they have a cycling special on and you'll be fine.

I used to use torches but they're not designed to rattle and often found them scrolling through brightness levels and/or flicking on and off.
The beam pattern with a torch will be totally inappropriate as well. That's the polite version.
Edit, i see i came late to this :smile:
But point stands

Last edited:
They probably won't because UK club riders include the worst offenders, flashing their dazzle bombs even in daylight, and they won't want you to point out their emperor is also naked!
Tis true i fear - often find racing clubs the worst. They are a marketeers dream.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Last night out on the ride in a country road which was very dark my 15-year-old Exposure Joystick did not seem as bright as my fellow travellers so maybe new front light time.
I was wondering if you can just use a decent torch anchored to the handlebar without having to pay premium for a 'Bike Light'?

Chinese LED bike lights are pretty cheap these days. Before I bought one I used to wrap the elastic headband of my petzl round the handlebars and use that, but the chinese bike light, particularly the bracket was better, and cheaper albeit I already had the petzl

freiston

Veteran
I realise that I'm replying after the new light has been purchased but for road/shared path use, I would only recommend StVZO lights that reflect the light forward rather than having an LED shining directly forward through the lens. The design allows for a far superior beam pattern that illuminates the road near and far, without blinding brightspots or dazzling anyone in front. With direct shining LED lights (even those that supposedly have a shaped beam with fresnel lens), I find that I cannot tilt it down enough to avoid dazzling others without it giving a blinding bright spot too close to the front wheel.

I was thinking about this there is one advantage to some torches, you change change the beam angle so with two you can have a narrow high beam for the distance and a low wide beam for potholes, I use two touches on my mountain bike for off road rides

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I ran two 501b Cree torches i bought from some chinese online store quite a few years back. They were actually quite good, still have one of them now. However that was back in the day when I really wanted to splash out on Exposure lights but they were out of my budget..... So yes a torch can work but make sure its pointed way down if passing other commuters on a path.

Now own three Exposure lights, they just work....

says the front is superbright but no mention of beam pattern so I'd skip it.

If son in law wants something to see on dark lanes I'd look on ebay for a new lidl light.

If he just cycles in town there are more modest looking lights from cateye which are fine and dandy.

using standard batteries which can be recharged.

Top Bottom