Using clipless pedals for the first time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well if you have arthritic joints, And of course in the knees is for a cyclist one of the worst places but you can just try and lower your sights I'm afraid as I had to after my injury as being 72 I don't seem the have energy I did even three years ago before my knee
I’m only 47 so not quite ready to quit

I’m only 47 so not quite ready to quit
Well neither am I just yet

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Dont know if its been mentioned yet - but if your cleats are of the SPD variety - you can get some called SH-56 which are slightly different compared to the standard SH-51 or 52 cleat. They function exactly the same but the difference being that if you yank your foot up vertically hard enough when youre about to fall, the cleat will disengage from the pedal without needing a twist from your ankle.

I have used them for a long time and they have saved my butt a fair few times when commuting.

-- If i had to throw in a tip. Try to look ahead and unclip your standing foot from the pedal early before you come to a complete stop. It takes all the fear and panic out of not being able to unclip at the right moment. Im confident in my clipping in and out but i also clip out early.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Dont know if its been mentioned yet - but if your cleats are of the SPD variety - you can get some called SH-56 which are slightly different compared to the standard SH-51 or 52 cleat. They function exactly the same but the difference being that if you yank your foot up vertically hard enough when youre about to fall, the cleat will disengage from the pedal without needing a twist from your ankle.

I have used them for a long time and they have saved my butt a fair few times when commuting.
OP mentions Look so this isn’t relevant in this case

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

On a similar note, I have a pair of pedals called "Click-R". I think these may be for use with the cleats you mention. Anyway they are easier release. In practice I find them identical to ordinary SPDs except they feel slightly "squashy" - less of a positive click - when clipping in. They're currently on a bike I don't ride much but I've been perfectly happy with them. I bought them because they had built in reflectors, they just happen to be this click-r system.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/technologies/component/details/shimano-clickr.html

So, I’ve finally taken the plunge and put some Look pedals on my road bike.
I gave them a five minute go today and I couldn’t even get the cleats to clip in.
Does anybody have any advice for a complete beginner to clipless pedals?

Which system did you go for ? - The last 2 sets of SPD/SL pedals have gone back - they just wouldn't release and I have been using SPD/SL for a few years now.

What you need to do is dedicate some time to clicking in and out - on a 25 mile ride you might unclick 3 or 4 times. Just roll down a road and click in / click out - also practice a bit of one legged pedalling. I found practising on a turbo of limited use - the technique seems different on road..

vickster

Legendary Member
Which system did you go for ? - The last 2 sets of SPD/SL pedals have gone back - they just wouldn't release and I have been using SPD/SL for a few years now.

What you need to do is dedicate some time to clicking in and out - on a 25 mile ride you might unclick 3 or 4 times. Just roll down a road and click in / click out - also practice a bit of one legged pedalling. I found practising on a turbo of limited use - the technique seems different on road..
He says Look in what you’ve quoted

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
With Look/Shimano SPD-SL road pedals it’s a bit harder to get to grips with clipping in and out than SPD mtb types, you basically have to catch the top of the pedal with your shoe toe then slide your foot along till the front of the cleat engages with the front of the pedal, then press down until the rear of the cleat clicks into position, you will probably find yourself looking down at your feet at first, as your foot slides hopelessly across the pedal and off the front of the pedal, hopefully this video explains a bit better.

View: https://youtu.be/H6h30OqTyTg

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Indeed. Partly it’s swelling due to the arthritis, pain due to the damage to the bone surfaces in all three compartments, partly due to muscle imbalance between quad, hamstring, calf. There may not be a solution, but giving the physio a go (compex sessions and gym work)

Gained nothing in terms of bend in 6 weeks though. I did manage 5 miles clipped in however a couple of weeks ago. 4 or 5 months ago I couldn’t even turn the pedals 5 times clipped in without excruciating pain!!
If it stays dry, I’ll give it another go with the cleats at the weekend

Ever tried trigger point therapy on the muscle? Been really good for me over the years on numerous injuries. Can be self learned so doesnt even need to cost anything.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ever tried trigger point therapy on the muscle? Been really good for me over the years on numerous injuries. Can be self learned so doesnt even need to cost anything.
I’ve had done by massage therapist and physio. Doesn’t have long lasting effect

vickster

Legendary Member
I surely hope you can find a way to cycle enjoyable as far and as often as you like. Have noticed any weather sensitivity to cold and damp?
Not especially knee or joint wise. Probably worse in summer oddly when more active

Top Bottom