Using fuel for racing on the commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
That could be the worst ever thread title.

Anyway, I'm finding it a challenge at times gearing myself up for the home leg of the commute - after a day at the chalk face, I'm pretty knackered (no sympathy please ^_^) and sometimes I really struggle on the way home.

Today I downed some High 5 Energy Source X'treme prior to my commute and I have to say it made a difference. I had it in a box that was supposed to be for races etc but I thought I needed the energy. It worked so I made it home in one piece.

The question is, is it a bad idea to fuel yourself with things like this for the daily commute, and secondly what alternatives could I look at that would give me the same boost for the way home?

Cheers

Citius

The majority of 'racing only' energy products are bought by people who never race, so if you think it works for you - and assuming you can are happy to pay the inevitable inflated prices - I would just carry on with it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I eat a mix of 3 parts rolled oats, 1 part seeds (sunflower or whatever), 2 parts raisins, with tahini or other seed/nut butter and agave syrup added 2:1 just enough to stick, eaten while drinking a small cup of coffee. Usually works. Today it didn't but today was very unusual. Maybe I should have switched to my fallback of beer - doesn't always work, but you care less about slogging along! :laugh:

I find High 5 Anti-dandruff Gel (HT @deptfordmarmoset) upsets my stomach. I'd fear what it does in there if you ate it long-term.

Previous generations used to swear by things like coconut ice and fudge but that's frowned upon now because of the very refined sugars, but it's still basically a carb+protein mix.

Soreen-malt-loaf-006.jpg

What more needs to be said?

Attachments

• Soreen-malt-loaf-006.jpg
    Soreen-malt-loaf-006.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Either 15 or 20 miles each way, depending on route.

I know I should be able to do that on a mouthful of water, but I'm unfit, and new to this.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm not really one for taking gels but on that chapter in a book I am reading and to be honest , they are just giving you what you would eat anyway so who cares . I guess you could drink lots of tea or coffee before a ride to get the same hit but then you would need a wee half way .

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Good advice. The drinks don't overcome the lack of fitness, it's the mental stamina I struggle with most. Especially after a day at work, those long roads home seem such a slog. I think the darkness and wind play a big part too!

snorri

Legendary Member
Perhaps it is time to review your eating habits with a view to regularly eating healthier foods that would provide the energy you require rather than topping up with chemicals energy gels on a daily basis?
Just a thought:smile:.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
They have been reviewed.

6.30am Toast and banana.
11am Coffee and Snack-a-jacks.
1pm. Wholemeal pasta, chicken, broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, onions.
3.30pm High caffeine drink.
5.00pm Boom. Home on bike.

Top Bottom