Using fuel for racing on the commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
High 5 Energy Source X'treme
I filled two bottles with that before a through-the-night ride, going on the theory that the caffeine would help keep me awake. To be fair, it did, but I was weeing like a racehorse all night too :huh:

Just have a nice strong coffee an hour before hometime :okay:

theloafer

Legendary Member
Soreen-malt-loaf-006.jpg

What more needs to be said?

I rather have my own home made one :hungry:

BRANFLAKE LOAF

More delicious than shop bought malt loaf and so easy to fling together
a child can do it. This must be one of the only cake mixtures that looks and tastes
pretty revolting in the bowl, but honestly, the end result is well worth the complete lack of effort...

Best sliced thinly and eaten with butter or jam.

1 mug of Kellogg's All-Bran
1 mug of either currants, mixed dried fruit or sultanas
1 mug of milk
1 mug of self-raising flour
A generous half-mug of caster or soft brown sugar

Method

1. Put everything except the flour in a large bowl and leave the mixture to stand for about an hour.

2. Grease and long-strip-line a standard size loaf tin and pre-heat the oven to approximately Gas Mark 3 (160 C)

3. Sift the flour into the soggy mixture, stir it in well and pour the whole lot into the loaf tin, spreading it evenly up to the sides.

4. Bake in a cool oven for about an hour and a half, until a skewer or sharp knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
WP_20140609_001.jpg

Attachments

• Soreen-malt-loaf-006.jpg
    Soreen-malt-loaf-006.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 18

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They have been reviewed.

6.30am Toast and banana.
11am Coffee and Snack-a-jacks.
1pm. Wholemeal pasta, chicken, broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, onions.
3.30pm High caffeine drink.
5.00pm Boom. Home on bike.
With that lunch it's no wonder it's windy on the way home.

Serious note, just a a bit of normal food before you set off home, like. A banana or handful of nuts and. Raisins or something.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
15-20 miles each way isn't to be sniffed at, particularly if you are new to it and unfit. I don't think you need enery drinks for this ride, you just need to get used to riding that kind of distance daily and as a result of doing so, your fitness will improve. Good luck with it, well done.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But surely if you were happy with your weight, you'd need some extra energy to ride that distance daily? What do you think the best way would be? Personally, I'd be looking at a bigger breakfast than toast and fruit - maybe add muesli and yoghurt, or porridge?

montage

God Almighty
By all means fuel up for your commute - yes race fuel will work, but so will some healthier alternatives an hour or two beforehand. Maybe an apple and a banana at 3pm? Are you able to have breakfast after your commute rather than before? You will be surprised how quickly the body will adapt

Dan B

Disengaged member
The majority of 'racing only' energy products are bought by people who never race, so if you think it works for you - and assuming you can are happy to pay the inevitable inflated prices - I would just carry on with it.
Energy powders (of the kind you mix into a pint of water) make fantastic hangover cures

damianr

Regular
I'm in the same boat as you, not in the best shape with a 15 mile each way commute. A couple of bananas and if I'm really flagging a cup of coffee about an hour before I set off does the job.

Simontm

Veteran
I started off the same (ish) - unfit, commuting 26-30 miles a day. I usually have a couple of pints of water in the morning, bowl of cereal, cup of tea. An oat biscuit with my coffee when I get to work. Stew/casserole/rice dish for lunch. Banana or apple half an hour before I head home.

If I have a coke at lunchtime I drink half and put the rest in my water bottle - water does get tedious! If I was organised in the morning, I would love to sort out a dash a lemon and a pinch of salt to my water but me + organisation + morning just doesn't add up! On the other hand I have quite happily ridden to work without water as I forgot it.

But at the end of the day it is just practice. If someone said to me nearly a year ago that I would consider a weekend trip of 30 miles as a quick trip, or fifteen as a blow the cobwebs, keep the legs moving, type ride I would have laughed in their faces. Keep at it, it will come.

Jimidh

Veteran
I just make sure I'm hydrated during the day and usually have a banana mid afternoon.

Motivation for the ride home is an issue especially after a long day but I use it as a training ride and try to go as hard as I can esp on the hilly sections. Luckily most of my commute is rural roads or side streets.

Normal food is just as effective as "sports nutrition" for fuelling your commute.
Pick something with slow energy release (low GI) like banana, malt loaf, fig rolls, sandwich, pie.
Avoid the sugar rush of high GI foods, mars bars, twix, wagon wheels, battenburg cake.
Make sure you drink enough before you leave to start well hydrated. A nice mug of tea works as well as a shot of Brawndo (The Thirst Mutilator), both have electrolytes.
Pre-fuel in advance of your ride so you are fully fuelled when you start.

Top Bottom