Using Garmin without PC/MAC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
An android phone definitely works with a garmin I was using one or my android tablet and a memory card to transfer data (you need a garmin that has a card slot). I guess you could get an adapter so a iphone could see the card but you might need a windows emulator app so you can see the garmin file structure.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
According to DC Rainmaker, and he knows his stuff, no to iPhone to an Edge (etc)...
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/06/garmin-ipad-android-surface.html
Done the Android option myself- with a USB OTG cable, GPXs can easily be moved back and forth between Garmin and phone. I've created routes on the phone with Osmand, then transferred them to my Edge 705, and uploaded saved rides to Garmin Connect (and hence Strava etc) with one of the phone's browsers. Nothing to stop you buying another phone/tablet and using it without a SIM card for such purposes.

According to DC Rainmaker, and he knows his stuff, no to iPhone to an Edge (etc)...
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/06/garmin-ipad-android-surface.html
Done the Android option myself- with a USB OTG cable, GPXs can easily be moved back and forth between Garmin and phone. I've created routes on the phone with Osmand, then transferred them to my Edge 705, and uploaded saved rides to Garmin Connect (and hence Strava etc) with one of the phone's browsers. Nothing to stop you buying another phone/tablet and using it without a SIM card for such purposes.
The first comment which DC acknowledges says it's possible with a 'jail broken' iPhone; I'm not sure what lies behind that though :-/

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The first comment which DC acknowledges says it's possible with a 'jail broken' iPhone; I'm not sure what lies behind that though :-/
Jailbreaking iOS (removing Apple's 'software locks') would be the only way to get round Apple's restrictions on USB connections.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
I have Garmin Edge 1000 and only use iPad. If you can tolerate the Garmin Connect website course creation (crashes) and persevere you can plot your course and save it. You then have the option to send to device. Press send, turn on your Edge and hey presto! Wireless download.

First you need to ensure your edge is set up on your wifi network and registered to your connect account. Works well once you tolerate Garmin Connect create a course.

Top Bottom