Using iPad app for turbo with Garmin speed and cadence sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
I'd like to try the bkool app on the free monthly trial or something similar on my iPad to stop being so bored when I start using my turbo trainer again.

I think I need to get an ant+ receiver to plug into my iPad but I'm not sure.

Can someone tell me what I need and what is the best simulator app to use.

I have the new style garmin sensors with no magnets.

Any advice welcome

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Yes, you need an ANT+ dongle for your iPad. You need something like the 'Wahoo Key', which is a full ANT+ adapter retailing for around £50. There are probably clones on eBay for much less, but buyer beware.

Also avoid the Garmin ANT+ adapter. I believe this only works to transfer data between some of their fitness dvices and iPads/iPhones and won't work with third party apps.

All ANT+ adapters I've seen use the old apple 30 pin connectors. If you've got a newer iPad with the Lightning connector, then you'll also have to buy a 30pin to lightning converter cable. The official Apple ones are a rip-off at around £25, but you should be able to find a reliable 3rd party cable for less.

As for simulation software, I don't know too much about bkool on the iPad. The peeps on the bkool sub forum will help you out. The other simulation alternative is Zwift, but this is PC based with an iPad/iPhone used for some fancy social functions.

Top Bottom