Using Komoot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anybody got ant tips on using this ? (PC Version) - I watched a couple of youtube videos - but was then a bit disappointed when I put in and out and back destination - it seemed to make no effort to avoid what I know to be busy areas - I tried adding way points to get me out into the lanes - but it just added those into the route.

Also on a youtube video - you were supposed to get lots of suggested routes - I didn't see any of these ....

Any advice appreciated.

pawl

Legendary Member
I gave up on it.Tried to input in a circular route in but it just reversed the route

vickster

Legendary Member
Its got such universal praise all over the web ! - granted Im not the type of person to sit there for hours plotting routes !
That’s really the only way to get a route that only follows the roads that you want. Wahoo on the fly routing is more appalling. Garmin not great either.
you could download better routes from Strava or RWGPS (might only be for paid up members tho)

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
That’s really the only way to get a route that only follows the roads that you want. Wahoo on the fly routing is more appalling. Garmin not great either.
you could download better routes from Strava or RWGPS (might only be for paid up members tho)

Usually I leave it to the guys in the club to come up with the routes - but that's no an option at the moment. I suppose I will have to fart about with ride with GPS for a bit !

Dan77

I really like using Komoot and it's a good navigation tool too. Turn the cycle map filter on. Set plenty of waypoints. You can also drag the route to where you want it if it's off your preferred course between waypoints. Don't worry about it reversing...it will do that until you have enough waypoints to make a decent circuit. Or you can change it to round trip after you have more waypoints. If it puts the waypoints in the wrong order then you can expand the waypoints and move them up or down.

I recommend persevering with it as it's very good. Shows where the hills are, what surfaces you're riding on, etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
Usually I leave it to the guys in the club to come up with the routes - but that's no an option at the moment. I suppose I will have to fart about with ride with GPS for a bit !
Can’t you just use some of their old routes? Aren’t clubs riding currently? They certainly are round these parts

D

Deleted member 26715

road or off-road ?
It's poor for off-road, but then again most of the planners are

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Can’t you just use some of their old routes? Aren’t clubs riding currently? They certainly are round these parts

That was what I tried to do. Get a route then just shift the start to closer to me. But when I move the start it chops off the part I want to ride and gives me a route to the original start !!!

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Make a separate route to the start...if you don’t know the way?

I live in the traffic dense west midlands. I know the roads to quickly get me off the main roads. So I want my own start point and then join an existing route. ...I will get there !;!

Last edited:

cwskas

Über Member
I use Komoot for my primary planner. It took me a while to learn techniques that work for me.

I almost always use the one-way choice and rarely want to return the same way I traveled out, but there are some routes that are just better or more convenient.

The best tip is to select your start point, then select a point on your route and make that the destination. Check the segment and add waypoints if necessary to modify it to your liking. Then select a new point further along your route and choose 'Set as New Endpoint'. Modify that segment if necessary and repeat until you are back where you started or at your new destination.

I typically zoom in pretty far when setting waypoints to get them as precise as I can.

Most of my plans are local rides, but not always in my area. I sometimes drive somewhere and ride in that area. I sometimes check the Strava heat maps to get an idea of popular routes as a start. I have used Komoot to plan multi-day routes as well, but my circumstances do not give me many consecutive nights away from home right now.

I have only used Komoot's voice navigation a few times, but found it quite helpful when I am in an unfamiliar location. It can be annoying if you are intentionally deviating from the planned route with the intention of rejoining later.

I hope that made sense.

Willie

Top Bottom