using TT bars give me sore nuts...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
How about a proper bike fit.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ideally, you should find a position which is aero and powerful, then address your soreness, IMO!

My personal experience with "traditional" saddle shapes and riding in a TT position is that I find even a TT specific version with a wider nose and more padding to be uncomfortable, to put it politely, it is like being punched in the gooch for an hour at a time, as such I tried an Adamo saddle and will not go back!

gds58

Über Member
Never really had nad trouble whilst riding TTs
Maybe tip your saddle at the front a bit..
Yes I agree, how on earth did we all manage (and now for that matter!) with doing all those time trials without crucifiying ourselves? maybe we just had a good position on the bike, anything's possible I suppose! and how do those pros manage to ride a 50k TT without completely de-skinning their undercarriage. It could always be down to having a good position/set-up on the bike you just never know! ^_^^_^

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Yes I agree, how on earth did we all manage (and now for that matter!) with doing all those time trials without crucifiying ourselves? maybe we just had a good position on the bike, anything's possible I suppose! and how do those pros manage to ride a 50k TT without completely de-skinning their undercarriage. It could always be down to having a good position/set-up on the bike you just never know! ^_^^_^
And I would assume you got there by asking questions or people giving advice....
Welcome to the future old timer ;-)

frank9755

Cyclist
You need to fundamentally change your position to use aerobars in comfort. Most likely you'll need the saddle moved forward and the bars to be lower. Normally when you move the saddle forward, you would also put it slightly higher, but if you are getting pain there it may already be too high so you may need to drop it down slightly. In fact, dropping your saddle just a couple of mm may well be the quick fix to enable you to ride in more comfort to sort out the rest of your position.

fimm

Veteran
If you can afford to throw money at the problem, +1 for an Adamo saddle (but they're not cheap!). They do take a little getting used to.

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

i tilted it a little forward and it felt much much better. thanks for the advice fellas

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
When you say "it " ?
I was thinking of getting a new seat post for my defy as the tri bars have the Arione nudging me up the wrongun . I'm sat right on the end of the seat to get a nice position but its not nice as you can understand from the above .
After reading this post i'm not sure if getting "nudged" is better than not getting "nudged " :blink:

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

i found before sitting on the nose my dangleys and sausage couldnt find a place to hide, since rotating the seat forward(nose down) they now hang better off the front

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Hmmm maybe i'll leave the defy as it is then . It was tweaked for me by someone that rides TT's and he did say I will be sitting on the nose , but he was working with what I had so maybe not ideal . Saying that I am tackle injury free .... Its just the nudging I don't like !

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It is PROBABLY a case of very bad position. Without a proper pic, no-one can really give advice. Front and side on pics, cranks vertical and cranks horizontal.

No offence and I might be making an incorrect assumption but I have seen quite a few people from this forum whack some aero bars on their bike (I have also received a few PM's on the subject) and the general theme is that they assume awful positions on the bike. This is not a criticism of them, getting a good TT position is very difficult IME (I struggle with it to this day, I tweak almost weekly), merely an observation.

I agree with screenman. What about a proper bike fit or a custom bicycle. You can get the best for your money and be positioned on the saddle as you should.

gds58

Über Member
And I would assume you got there by asking questions or people giving advice....
Welcome to the future old timer ;-)
Not really sure that I like your tone! But nonetheless I may well be an 'old timer' as you put it but I may well have more TT experience than most on here put together (see 'Time Trial PB's' thread and you'll see what I mean) but it still gets down to the fact that the best and quickest way to achieve what you want is to have a proper professional bike fit such as the Specialized BG fit system which takes account of your own individual 'Body Geometry' (BG) and your own flexibility etc and is tailored to the type of riding you intend to do such as road race, sportive, time trial etc etc. Generally between £140 and £200 but the best three hours and money you will ever spend on your cycling. Here's a link to some information about it: http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/body-geometry-fit/ this may well solve all your problems AND significantly improve your performances as well. We do them where I work but this is probably not local to you so a little research might be needed.
Hope this will help in your quest for comfort!

Graham

Top Bottom