Using "viral" tactics to reduce close passes?

Good Idea? Would you buy and display a sticker ?

• Yes it might work and I'd buy a sticker to put on my car.

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Yes it might work but I wouldnt buy a sticker

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Stupid idea, wouldnt make any difference at all

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
What do folks think of this as a non-confrontational idea that could, over time, reduce close passes:

Produce and distribute, via this forum and others, rear window stickers (or bumper stickers) that say just:
HC Rule 163
No logos, no identifying it as a cycling thing.​
Cyclists being passed by a vehicle carrying such a sticker would be able to acknowledge it as a "friendly".​
After a year or so .... open a website that explains it, for those motorists dim enough not to Google it, and maybe sell jerseys with a "back-view" of this?
dg_070531.jpg

I think the key is getting enough copies of the plain, unadorned "HC Rule 163" text out there and seen by motorists- before anyone realises it's a cycling thang.

Of course I wouldn't encourage it as graffiti.... but I wouldnt go round rubbing it off either.

OK so it's not going to eliminate close passes.....but it might help to make some motorists think twice before overtaking.

What do folks think?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
cyclist.jpg
I already have this in my car window, but I don't think is does any good

mattobrien

Guru
Best of luck without all, but I can't see much of a take up or anyone really noticing anything really. Not being negative, just realistic. There are 20m odd cars on the roads, the chances if seeing it re slim t best.

I give a friendly wave to motorists who have waited behind me until it is safe to pass, so hopefully acknowledgement and a bit of thanks will go a little way.

Massively OT, so my apologies: The OP reminds me of a very clever election campaign I witnessed in Croatia a couple of decades ago.

There was a party run by a nationalist former general who ended up with a massive majority at a time when nationalism and ethnic hatred were vote winners that he made the best possible use of.

It was illegal to put up poster more than x weeks before an election, so this party just put up posters EVERYWHERE with the simple slogan "What?". These went up many weeks before posters and hoardings were permitted.

Once posters were allowed, these were replaced with posters in the same colour, with the same font and the same edging, with the slogan "You Know What!" and the symbol of the party.

I thought at the time that this was an act of political genius. I'm not entirely sure the OP's idea will work, as it requires some intellectual engagement from other road users...

But for the general elections in a country where many at the time looked back fondly to their years as a murderous puppet state of the Third Reich, it was an absolute winner.

OT ramblings over. Apologies again. Even though I doubt it would work, I'd put the sticker in my window. :smile:

Pauluk

I think its a good idea Pete. Shouldn't be seen in isolation as there are probably many other things that could be done to raise motorist's awareness of the issue.

I'd use one. Well done. :thumbsup:

400bhp

Guru
putting it politely it looks gawky/geeky to me.

Then again I am not a fan of window stickers in any form.

"Child on board" bollox
"Nurburgring" bollox
"My other cars a ..."loser bollox

Perhaps "Cyclist on Board" would be better.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
putting it politely it looks gawky/geeky to me.

Then again I am not a fan of window stickers in any form.

"Child on board" bollox

Yes I hate them too. Normally in the back of Volvos that skim your handlebars at about 60mph. But as long as little Jocasta is safe in the back - bugger the cyclist!

I don't think its a daft idea but doubt it would have any effect. As said above, one would question the intellectual capacity of the average driver to have the faintest clue what 'HC' means let alone remember to look it up.

Talking of communicating with drivers, I once saw a guy in Aberystwyth on a bike with 'how's my riding? - call 0800 kiss-my-ar$e' on the back of his T shirt. I thought that was great!

Globalti

Legendary Member
You really believe that most drivers actually think when they're behind the wheel, don't you?

Most view driving as a time to switch off the brain and relax from the stresses of daily life.

Most drivers already know the rules they ignore them deliberately. I honestly dont think a sticker would make much difference. A cattle prod might thou.

defy-one

Best of luck without all, but I can't see much of a take up or anyone really noticing anything really. Not being negative, just realistic. There are 20m odd cars on the roads, the chances if seeing it re slim t best.

I give a friendly wave to motorists who have waited behind me until it is safe to pass, so hopefully acknowledgement and a bit of thanks will go a little way.

Yep couldn't agree more - always say thankyou - they feel good, you feel good!

Sent by iPhone using Tapatalk

R_nger

Guru
"Child on board" bollox

I used to feel the same way about these stickers, until somebody suggested that they were for the benefit of the emergency services...to indicate that there was a child in the car in the event of an accident. Of course, there are obvious drawbacks.

Top Bottom