Using "viral" tactics to reduce close passes?

Good Idea? Would you buy and display a sticker ?

• Yes it might work and I'd buy a sticker to put on my car.

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Yes it might work but I wouldnt buy a sticker

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Stupid idea, wouldnt make any difference at all

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I used to feel the same way about these stickers, until somebody suggested that they were for the benefit of the emergency services...to indicate that there was a child in the car in the event of an accident. Of course, there are obvious drawbacks.

And if I remember correctly the emergency services take no notice of them
Reason being there were instances of services wasting time trying to find a child in the car (or out of the car) when there was none.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I couldn't cast a vote because I don't own a car but I nearly always acknowledge a driver behind me who's waited behind me at a pinch-point/traffic island. There are some drivers who don't see, who don't care, who are too busy preparing to negotiate the next obstacle, etc. But there is a substantial number of road-sharing drivers who seem to feel rewarded for their 2 seconds of self-restraint and who give a smile or a signal back. They feel rewarded, I feel safer. There's a kind of mutual reaffirmation that goes on.

But this is active negotiation about sharing the roads, not using a static message in a window or the back of your jersey.

Am I going mad or has the "quote" button gone?

Re deptfordmarmoset, I agree.

I always try to acknowledge good driving with a hand/palm up. Sometimes it's because of something they should have done legally anyway, but I still do it. Amongst the nutters there are a lot of decent drivers - always possible these days in london that lots of them are also cyclists.

Wander Wheels

I found when I was cycling to work that a quick glance over my shoulder and the car behind gives me a much wider berth. It works - try it! Although I've had some drivers who think its fun to get as near as possible when overtaking. When cycle touring round Spain last year drivers were amazingly careful and kept a distance and safely overtook - something to do with the law if hitting a cyclist you were in the wrong I believe - if only it was the same here!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I'm afraid I don't think it would work. The drivers that aren't going to give you the room wont give a monkeys what the little slogan on the sticker refers to. I remember the father of a friend of mine had a t-shirt which had a picture of a chap on a bike with the wording "Cyclists need 3 feet", the guy on the bike had an extra leg which was stuck out straight to the side. This must have been about 35 years ago, not sure it's done much good.
I did have a look to see if I could find a picture of the t-shirt, I failed, but I do quite like the alternatives which seem quite abundant now, I've never seen anyone wearing one though.
3-ft jersey rear.JPG

What do folks think of this as a non-confrontational idea that could, over time, reduce close passes:

Produce and distribute, via this forum and others, rear window stickers (or bumper stickers) that say just:
HC Rule 163
No logos, no identifying it as a cycling thing.​
Cyclists being passed by a vehicle carrying such a sticker would be able to acknowledge it as a "friendly".​
After a year or so .... open a website that explains it, for those motorists dim enough not to Google it, and maybe sell jerseys with a "back-view" of this?
dg_070531.jpg

I think the key is getting enough copies of the plain, unadorned "HC Rule 163" text out there and seen by motorists- before anyone realises it's a cycling thang.

Of course I wouldn't encourage it as graffiti.... but I wouldnt go round rubbing it off either.

OK so it's not going to eliminate close passes.....but it might help to make some motorists think twice before overtaking.

What do folks think?

All for it happy to pass through to local cycling campaign group.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You're deluding yourselves. The standard of driving is on the whole so bad and many drivers haven't a clue about the width of their cars, so even if you sat all Britain's drivers down and subjected them to a strong lesson on safe overtaking of bikes, most don't have a feckin' clue what's going on around them anyway.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
And if I remember correctly the emergency services take no notice of them
Reason being there were instances of services wasting time trying to find a child in the car (or out of the car) when there was none.

I always though they were daft, but I live on a narrow Victorian road and when we're struggling to wrestle the spawn out of her car seat and holding up the traffic it does seem to help people give us some slack.

gavintc

Guru
The child on board is nothing more than a boast - 'I have a little darling; look at me' sign. I argue there is no practical benefit for the sign. But, if it makes you happy....

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
The child on board is nothing more than a boast - 'I have a little darling; look at me' sign. I argue there is no practical benefit for the sign. But, if it makes you happy....
Picture this scenario:- you are part of an emergency team first on the scene of an RTA. Head on crash between passenger car and a truck. Truck driver had minor injuries, twoadult passengers in car both groggy and incoherent, child on board sticker in back window and empty child's seat, leaking fuel from car's engine bay. Truck driver has managed to get out of his cab; what do you do? OK, get the adults out and away from the scene but what about the sticker and empty child's seat, do you ignore it? Kids have been known to 'submarine' under front seats in the case of a crash! Are you willing to take the risk and not check?

Top Bottom