Utility bills seem to have gone up and i think i'm paying too much for my internet service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It's not just you, it is a perennial fight with utility and service providers that can really test your patience - www.cyclechat.net/threads/power-supplier-payment-shenanigans.241560

Contact them, challenge the charges and give valid comparisons for the costs of competitors you would consider switching to. If your current supplier won't play ball then be prepared to follow through on your threat to leave and walk away to the better deal. Water rates are a tricky one as it is a monopoly and you cannot not pay it. If you have previously agreed a lower price than they are charging then get in touch and query why they are not honouring this arrangement?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As long as you're not tied in a contract, you can leave anytime with no financial penalty.
If you dont want the hassle of leaving, just tell Sky about this deal and say your leaving and they'll likely match it.

I think the last time i said i was thinking of going elsewhere Sky mentioned a 60 pound penalty or something like that. Getting through to Sky is difficult. The phone lines are automated which is a problem for me.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think the last time i said i was thinking of going elsewhere Sky mentioned a 60 pound penalty or something like that. Getting through to Sky is difficult. The phone lines are automated which is a problem for me.
Simple, give them full notice, serve the notice period then walk away scot free and feel the liberation that comes from not paying to massively line the pockets of these greedy corporations. Freeview for me is more than enough and I rarely watch that.

Smudge

Veteran

You should always make it your business to know how long your contract is for and whether you're still tied to it.
If you want to leave Sky, you dont have to contact them, the new company will deal with the switch. Only contact Sky if you want them to price match.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Smudge

Veteran
If Sky offer to price match..... Make sure the price match per month is for the WHOLE of the contract period.
A trick these broadband suppliers pull, is they will give you a cheap deal for 12 mths, but tie you n to a contract for 18 mths. This means for the last 6 mths of that contract you will be paying full whack and you cant get out of it without a penalty charge.

Smudge

Veteran
[QUOTE 5432424, member: 9609"]I think they were the worst company I ever dealt with. I mistakenly went out of contract and their charges went up from mid twenties to mid sixties.[/QUOTE]

You cant slate them for that..... if you'd been on the ball, you could have negotiated the same deal or left them for somewhere else.
Most companies hike the prices up when you finish your fixed price contract.

Sorry Accy, I think youre being had. My internet, phone, leccy, water, gas and milk are only £3.99 a quarter.
Thats a bit steep? Try Uswitch.

Smudge

Veteran
[QUOTE 5432445, member: 9609"]Oh yes I can - just cause other companies do it is no excuse, It is a disgraceful practice designed to prey on the vulnerable within society. I'm not looking for sympathy for the thirty odd quid I lost by missing the end of contract date, my own silly fault and all that.

But how many older people in society are not in contract and paying double treble what they could be paying from every thing from car insurance to Broadband to Electricity and Gas. These giant companies are just utter scum[/QUOTE]

Its designed to maximise their profits, simple as that..... and thats what business is about. The opportunity is there to avoid getting stung like this.
There are also companies who do cheap, basic internet with no fixed term contract.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just putting my bills up here for reference. I pay around £56/month which includes £26/month for internet only, leaving about £28 for gas and electricity. Not sure what my water is. This is after a £2/month discount for paying direct debit, and an additional discount for having all 3 services through utility warehouse. I also have no contract so can leave at any time, but I checked the rates for competing energy providers and mine is still cheaper and/or the same.

Question. Can the providers put the monthly debits up without my knowledge or agreement? They seem to have been put up by about 6 to 10 pounds each a month. I pay £37.79 for my internet. There's no tv package and i assume my phone calls are limited. I pay £21.31 a month for my water,even though me and the provider agreed a monthly rate of £17 something. I only use a small amount of water,mostly a few toilet flushes, a bowl of washing up water and that's it. I don't have a washing machine and i only use my shower now once a week as i use the one in the gym.

Accy, if you want to change energy suppliers I can recommend a small company I am with called Bulb energy-no contract to stay-leave anytime.

I have a discount code that I will send you worth £50. Will PM it now.

irw

Quadricyclist
Accy, if you want to change energy suppliers I can recommend a small company I am with called Bulb energy-no contract to stay-leave anytime.

I have a discount code that I will send you worth £50. Will PM it now.

+1 to this. We swapped from British Gas to Bulb for both gas and electric, and our payments went down by almost £40 a month. In the interests of fair trade, I also have a discount code if anyone wants to swap :tongue:

Edited to add...
Hmm. Literally just had an email saying they're bumping up the payments from £72 a month to £100. This is however 'based on information we have about your home'. Now the information they have is basically the usage from last year, when we were with BG. Since then I've had a new boiler fitted, and a new heating system that should be more efficient. Time will tell how necessary this is...

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have just moved house and taken over the energy supplier that the previous occupants used, EDF Energy.
I have been looking at Bulb. Question is, do I have to be with EDF energy a certain amount of time before I switch?

@User9609 I'll be in touch once I find out :okay:

aha just checked my tariff.... no fee to leave

ok @User9609 you have your PM's turned off so you need to PM me...

Last edited:
I have just moved house and taken over the energy supplier that the previous occupants used, EDF Energy.
I have been looking at Bulb. Question is, do I have to be with EDF energy a certain amount of time before I switch?

@User9609 I'll be in touch once I find out :okay:

aha just checked my tariff.... no fee to leave

ok @User9609 you have your PM's turned off so you need to PM me...
[QUOTE 5432587, member: 9609"]now be fair, you get £50 as well if you enrol someone ^_^

I'm with Bulb too, all electric comes from renewables apparently (they didn't change the wire to the house though)
There is no time contract with them and they seem to be one of the most competitively priced for gas and electric
https://bulb.co.uk/
so anyone wants a free £50 to sign up and I get £50 too ^_^ send me a PM
or @night rider or @irw.[/QUOTE]

If Accy joins, not only will he get £50 but when he refers someone he gets another £50. It`s a win win for everyone (except the big suppliers) :hugs:

Top Bottom