Utility supplier gone bust.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
You can't get renewable electric either. Once you've used it, it's gone.
That can’t be true, can it? It’s not like gas because electricity flows down one wire and back to the source along the other. If you break the circuit it stops working so it is definitely returned to the generator. I think we’re all victims of a huge conspiracy.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Or we build more grid storage, like Dinorwic and all the other sometimes wacky ideas,Some here.

Costs more to pump the water back up to the top though. It's ideal for surge demand, but that's it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I received an email from my current supplier last week, telling me my monthly direct debit is going up from £46 a month to £72 a month in January. This morning they've sent one saying it's going up from £72 to £116 in January. They say they've based this on my smart meter reading, yet as far as I know I don't have a smart meter. Before I phone them any suggestions as to what to say? 🤔

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I received an email from my current supplier last week, telling me my monthly direct debit is going up from £46 a month to £72 a month in January. This morning they've sent one saying it's going up from £72 to £116 in January. They say they've based this on my smart meter reading, yet as far as I know I don't have a smart meter. Before I phone them any suggestions as to what to say? 🤔
Watch last nights Martin Lewis program. Some great info and explanations there. As he said, be nice to the call centre staff, they are up against it at the moment and it isn't their fault.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
First check if you have a smart meter? Do you have a small internal display unit showing consumption? Have you had new meters fitted in the last 2-3 years? If yes it's likely you do have smart meters.

Before you phone them dig out the past 12 months bills. Note the consumption by quarter. When you speak to someone ask to be charged on the basis of your historical usage.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you on a variable rate? Remember prices have gone up rather significantly this year (although there's a cap, your historical rate could have been significantly lower)

How much credit is on your account? They usually up it if less than a month's worth.

As to what to say, well just be polite and ask them to explain the reasoning :okay:

Reactions: C R

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Oh, and if your emergency transfer is anything like mine then the double increase will be due to them treating/transferring each supply separately, so the first increase might have been due to the electricity swap, then the second when they included the gas, or vice-versa.

Reactions: C R

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
First check if you have a smart meter? Do you have a small internal display unit showing consumption? Have you had new meters fitted in the last 2-3 years? If yes it's likely you do have smart meters.
I have what looks like a very old gas meter and a new looking electricity meter, though it was in this flat when I moved in over 4 years ago.

Scaleyback

Veteran

Umm, well I don't know your circumstances of course but £46.00 ? I think if you were boiling an egg on a gas stove 7 days a week your monthly cost at todays prices would maybe reach £46.00. :rolleyes: £72.00 a month is still incredibly cheap but £116.00 a month sounds more like average use.
Sorry, but just trying to be realistic :ohmy:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sounds a big increase there @Accy cyclist. Been keeping a monthly eye on our usage, but to more than double your bill for one person in a flat, that's a bit steep. Might be worth creating an on-line account where you an monthly give them the meter reading - that's what I'm currently doing, although my electric bills are eye wateringly expensive. Gas is less than £45 per month on average.

icowden

Veteran
Nope, both my meters have been digital for 25 years - they aren't smart ! :laugh:

Did some googling. I had never seen a non-smart digital meter!. The Smart meters do usually have a big A and B button on and some indication of wifi connectivity I think.

Top Bottom