Utility supplier gone bust.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just been on the phone to my suppliers. The £116 is a 'catch up payment' due to them reading my smart meter and finding I've been using more that estimated. They told me after that the bills should 'stabalise and be much less from February. They also said it's best to send them a meter reading for both electricity and gas asap. They'he also said when I mentioned me using a fan heater that they use loads of power and gas central heating is much cheaper! He was quite helpful and I thanked him for his help and time. So the message is bin the fan heater...get the radiators on!!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Oi, you muppets, I haven't got a smart meter.
They/he said I have though. He said even my old gas meter gives smart meter readings. I don't know how, but he said it does!:unsure:

I would ring them back and say that you think they have got the wrong meters registered at your address

they all have a identity number on them - so it is easy to check their records match your meters

there was a situation a while ago on 'some web site or other' where someone had accidentally got their meter mixed up with someone else's - and hence all the reading were from someone else
If your Gas meter looks that old I think you may need to check

Reactions: C R

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well yes I suppose. Anyway, I've sent both meters readings off to them. Let's see how they reply
Why can't they just send someone out to have a look at the meters? Everything has to be done over the phone now or online!

Well yes I suppose. Anyway, I've sent both meters readings off to them. Let's see how they reply
Why can't they just send someone out to have a look at the meters? Everything has to be done over the phone now or online!
WHy pay someone to do it when they can get you to do it
of course, if they don't like your reading they then have the option to say you 'read it wrong'/"didn't tell the truth'

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I received an email from my current supplier last week, telling me my monthly direct debit is going up from £46 a month to £72 a month in January. This morning they've sent one saying it's going up from £72 to £116 in January. They say they've based this on my smart meter reading, yet as far as I know I don't have a smart meter. Before I phone them any suggestions as to what to say? 🤔
Didn't you move to Scottish Power earlier this year? I did warn you about them, but it's taken them longer than I expected
Don't worry about the meter reading. Scottish Power will just send you a massively inflated bill at the end of August and ask for the readings so they can confirm you are paying the correct amount. Then in September they will let you know that they have reviewed the figures and that you have used less energy than expected so your account is £££ in credit. Despite this they will suggest that you increase your direct debit payment (or just do it anyhow). And repeat this until the end of your contract when you have to fight them for the return of the amount you are in credit by.

Spot the ex-Scottish Power customer!

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
I was on a fixed-rate contract with Zog Energy for my gas supply. They went bust a couple of months ago.
Ofgem have transferred me to EDF, who have now informed me of my estimated bills for the next year.
The total cost has gone up by 46%, and this is on a variable rate so any changes to the cap will mean paying even more.
If I want to switch to a fixed-price tariff for the next two years, the price increase on what I was paying Zog is 404%. I'll stick to variable and hope the cap doesn't change too much.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
One of my meter numbers has a digit wrong in the estimates sent but I check the readings myself anyway and they always more or less tally. I have been on to my supplier but they take no action.
SSE are the offenders but they have just been taken over by somebody whose name I cannot even remember offhand.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I was with People's Energy and was moved to British Gas. I was £7 in credit with People's Energy which I'm not going to worry about. I don't really want to be with BG, the initial customer service was poor when i had queries though the actual transfer was very smooth. I decided to give things time to settle down.

Initially BG wanted a monthly direct debit of £125 which I thought was steep so I signed up for £100/month.

I had an email from BG recently reducing my DD to £76 as they estimate I was overpaying. With People's Energy I was on £79/month.

I think I'll wait and see how this pans out.

Top Bottom