Utter disgrace to you all

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
Ouch. I've been there. though in my case my head was right next to it as I was working on the bike with it on a table and I was in a small room. I had to have a sit down to calm my nerves...

The mental image of that has just made me laugh out loud - the wife is now looking at me like I've finally and totally lost the plot!!! :laugh:

It's a fair point about the pinched tube. Oddly, I get a bit paranoid about that and did the usual 360 degree check - puling the beads into the centre - to make sure there were no pinches. To be fair, it's possible I missed one. But, whatever the cause, it was worth it for the comedy value alone!!!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm naff at changing punctures, especially when my hands are cold and wet. Do any of you carry those little air bottle inflators, because i can't see how you can put anywhere near a 110psi into a tyre with a travel pump?. The only way that i can reach 110psi is with my home stirrup type pump.
I have a roof rack on my car, if i'm passing a lone distressed looking fellow cyclist who's broken down i'll ask them if they want a lift to home etc, if it's on, or near my route. I've been helped in the past by passing cyclist in their cars, so i do the same.:angel::pump:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm naff at changing punctures, especially when my hands are cold and wet. Do any of you carry those little air bottle inflators, because i can't see how you can put anywhere near a 110psi into a tyre with a travel pump?. The only way that i can reach 110psi is with my home stirrup type pump.
I have a roof rack on my car, if i'm passing a lone distressed looking fellow cyclist who's broken down i'll ask them if they want a lift to home etc, if it's on, or near my route. I've been helped in the past by passing cyclist in their cars, so i do the same.:angel::pump:

Always carry C02 & small pump.
Start of with the pump to get it going and to make sure the tube isn't trapped. Then blast away with the C02. Inflated in less then a second.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Still not too sure why it wouldn't inflate the schrader:scratch:i might need a new pump.

Is it a pump that you've switched between schraeder and presta before? I've read of people being caught out by the switch process on the Topeak Morph pumps. There are two bits to reverse not one.

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
is it ok if we recoil a bit at the beans top? :whistle:

You can dis' me - but leave my Heinz Beanz top out of this.......:laugh:

Is it a pump that you've switched between schraeder and presta before? I've read of people being caught out by the switch process on the Topeak Morph pumps. There are two bits to reverse not one.
No, I'd never had to reverse it before, but i tried switching the bits around in every possible combination without success.The pump isn't anything as good as a Topeak Morph, it's a Raleigh i've had for about ten years.

postman

Legendary Member
Sarfend your next ride,well that explains a lot.Had you broken down anywhere in Yorkshire you would have been mobbed by friendly cyclists wanting to help out.You need to move up here great bunch of people.Mind you i would not like to breakdown in the following places.In no particular order.Gipton,Middleton,Seacroft,Belle Isle,Osmonthorpe.All the best with your cycling course.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm naff at changing punctures, especially when my hands are cold and wet. Do any of you carry those little air bottle inflators, because i can't see how you can put anywhere near a 110psi into a tyre with a travel pump?

I carry a CO2 inflator for convenience and speed, and because like you say it's easier to achieve higher pressures, but I also usually carry a manual pump in case I should get n+1 punctures, where n is the number of CO2 canisters I'm carrying...

If you're cold, manual pumping is a good way to warm yourself up quickly.

d.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'll always offer to help if I can. One thing I have noticed with some surprise is how many cyclists change tubes and then just leave the p*******d one by the roadside, or fling it into a hedge rather than take their crap home with them. Always makes me sad that.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I stopped to help a guy on a road bike the other week even though I was riding my electric bike with big tyres. He had a flat but my spare tube would not fit. (Yes I do carry the correct tube for each bike I am riding) I offered him my puncture kit but his wife was on the way.

He was wearing all the right go faster gear and had a nice bike. I was just surprised he had no repair gear. We had a nice chat for ten minutes and shared some biscuits.

Steve

Top Bottom