Uttoxeter LD61YLD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aferris2

Guru
I was sent on one of those courses about 4 years ago.
Driving lessons teach you how to pass the test. After that you learn (rightly or wrongly) how to get along.
The day and a half course (I got the naughty one) taught how to read the road, what others were doing, and what was coming up (or likely to). It included a supervised drive with a police instructor who made you think ahead. Very hard work, but now I know what's way ahead of me so I have loads of time to react or plan what to do.
It's a shame that these courses are only available to people who have been caught doing something stupid. All drivers should be made to do it. Best bit of driver education that I have ever had!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I was sent on one of those courses about 4 years ago.
Driving lessons teach you how to pass the test. After that you learn (rightly or wrongly) how to get along.
The day and a half course (I got the naughty one) taught how to read the road, what others were doing, and what was coming up (or likely to). It included a supervised drive with a police instructor who made you think ahead. Very hard work, but now I know what's way ahead of me so I have loads of time to react or plan what to do.
It's a shame that these courses are only available to people who have been caught doing something stupid. All drivers should be made to do it. Best bit of driver education that I have ever had!
Without wishing to sound rude , most drivers learnt that when they where taught how to drive .

Drago

Legendary Member
So he goes on a day's training to teach him not to deliberately aim a ton of metal at another human being?

I must agree with Glenn. This was a deliberate act of dangerous intimidation, not one of a lack of driving skill or understanding. A driver education course is as utterly inappropriate as a Don't Assault People course, or a Don't Rob Banks course.

Without wishing to sound rude , most drivers learnt that when they where taught how to drive .
I've been close passed by learners in instructors' cars. I believe they were following the instructors' directions. Certainly the weren't being told to give any where near 1.5 metres (5') passing distance,

Update: recent years ....

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
Maybe now but not when i and many other people took the test .
I passed my test in the sixties and the teaching was primarily basic car control and passing the test. From what my kids told me, the emphasis was the same much more recently. The test is more comprehensive these days, but lessons are expensive and most people will only spend what it takes to get through the test.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Anecdote is not data, but when I learnt to drive ten or twelve years ago my instructor was quite hot on forward planning, scanning the road, commentary driving etc. I don't know if that was normal for the time or normal for BSM for the time or if I just happened to get a good one.

Top Bottom