UVEX Announces Major Helmet Recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Two defects prompt manufacturer to recall 47,000 helmets
UVEX-helmet-recall.jpg

If you purchased a UVEX helmet between 2009 and this year, listen up: The helmet maker is recalling almost 47,000 helmets across seven different models.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recall notice, there are two defects: the anchor for the chinstrap can fail, causing the helmet to come off in the event of a crash and, more seriously, the helmets appear not to comply with CPSC safety standards for impact requirements.

All helmets sold in the US must pass CPSC testing. It’s unclear why the UVEX helmets did not pass or how the company was able to sell non-compliant helmets for almost five years before the recall.

The affected helmet models are XB017, XB022, XB025, XB027, XB032, and XB038. Model numbers are molded on the inside of the helmet shell, under the pad on the rib just off the center vent channels. The helmets were sold at independent bike shops and sporting goods stores between September 2009 and June 2014.

If you have or think you may have an affected model, stop using it immediately and contact UVEX Sports at 844-767-0656 between 9:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. EST to get a refund or a replacement helmet.

Whilst the piece above states the United States, it seems uncertain if that is the only country affected.
The problems being
Hazard:
The anchor for the helmet’s chinstrap can fail, causing the helmets to slide off the head, posing a head injury hazard. The bicycle helmets also do not comply with the impact requirements of the CPSC safety standards for bicycle helmets.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
THanks @classic33 - I use a Uvex FP1 (it's a XB024 model though)

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks @classic33

Mine is one of those affected...indeed I bought a new one (same model, different colour) for Xmas which is still in its box, so will need to check with High On Bikes! I'll need to remember where the first one came from!

Top Bottom