V Brake Cable and Blocks upgrade recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chess

Hi all,
I have Shimano Aliveo v brakes on my Hybrid. Aluminium rims. The cables and blocks are getting a bit tired, so I'm wanting your recommendations for upgrading both please ?
I've been looking at Jagwire cables ( inners and outers ) and a friend swears by them, but at £40 they seem very pricey to me for what they are.
Can anyone recommend something of similar quality, but cheaper ? And some good blocks to go with them ?
Links appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I normally use Clarkes Stainless cables and their pads are good too.

One thing I would advise is avoid any 'Teflon Coated' cables, it comes off and clogs the inners up.

OP
OP
Chess

Chess

Yes raleighnut,
Stainless steel wires I think would be good, less stretch maybe.
I think they would go well with the compressionless cable outer if I can find it.

KneesUp

Guru
I have the Decathlon ones with replaceable pads as I thought it might be good to swap pads depending on the season. I never have. Brakes are quite good though. I have Jagwire outers and whatever the inners the LBS sells - they just come loose from there. I don't have non-compressible brake cable though, it's just the normal spiral inside. Can't say I noticed any difference when I swapped the outers for the generic stuff that was on before. I used it because it's the same colour as the cables that were originally on the bike.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Stainless steel wires I think would be good, less stretch maybe.
I think they would go well with the compressionless cable outer if I can find it.
Normal brake cables are all 'stainless' [Edit - thank you for the correction @raleighnut : Brake cables can be 'galvanised' (these are cheapest and see paste subscribed) but decent brake cables are 'stainless'] though that doesn't mean they won't rust if neglected for years. And like any material subject to a tensile force they stretch, but cycle brake cables stretch a minute amount so in practice they don't "stretch".
There are two types of cable outer: one type for brakes and one type for gear cables. Only the latter needs to resist compression. For your brakes: you don't, as @KneesUp says. You're right: the Jagwire option is an expensive one.

I strongly recommend you just go to your local bike shop, ideally with the bike and they will offer (advice and) a range of options for the blocks, at various price points, and brake cables and outers. This will be a cost-effective option. And they'll cut the outers to the correct lengths for you too (if you take a list of lengths required or take the bike in). You'll also need little metal ferrules to go on the ends of the runs of outer.

Edit:
  • Galvanised cables are cheaper and more commonly used on mass produced bikes, including the complete heaps of garbage that some supermarkets sell for £99
  • Galvanising is really a zinc coating applied often by using a “hot dip” method and is a form of rust proofing
  • Stainless steel is a little more expensive

Last edited:

GlenBen

Über Member
I had jagwire previously and didnt think they were anything special. Clarks or shimano seem fine to me. Same for pads, i use the clarks triple compound ones on my winter commuter. Look around for deals on whole brakes, a while back i got a set of deore brakes and pads for less than the cost of new pads.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Shimano cables, KoolStop pads.
Shimano cables operate smoothly and don't stretch the way cheap imitations can do. Don't forget to replace outers as well as inners if there is any chance of corrosion in them.
KoolStop pads offer good braking performance and are kinder to rims than some others. They have a softer compound but that doesn't mean that they wear down stupidly quickly.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Normal brake cables are all 'stainless' though that doesn't mean they won't rust if neglected for years. And like any material subject to a tensile force they stretch, but cycle brake cables stretch a minute amount so in practice they don't "stretch".
There are two types of cable outer: one type for brakes and one type for gear cables. Only the latter needs to resist compression. For your brakes: you don't, as @KneesUp says. You're right: the Jagwire option is an expensive one.

I strongly recommend you just go to your local bike shop, ideally with the bike and they will offer (advice and) a range of options for the blocks, at various price points, and brake cables and outers. This will be a cost-effective option. And they'll cut the outers to the correct lengths for you too (if you take a list of lengths required or take the bike in). You'll also need little metal ferrules to go on the ends of the runs of outer.
No they aren't, Galvanised cables are not made of Stainless Steel, they're made of high tensile Steel which is then coated in Zinc or 'galvanised' to slow corrosion hence being less expensive.

Shimano cables operate smoothly and don't stretch the way cheap imitations can do.

Err E M Bowden invented cable brakes (although it is popularly reputed to be Frank Bowden) so technically anything not made by Raleigh is a copy. :whistle:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...Bowden_cable&usg=AOvVaw0SG5BvsfVDj3wPCfEWmjuJ

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Shimano cables operate smoothly and don't stretch the way cheap imitations can do. Don't forget to replace outers as well as inners if there is any chance of corrosion in them.
KoolStop pads offer good braking performance and are kinder to rims than some others. They have a softer compound but that doesn't mean that they wear down stupidly quickly.

+1 for KoolStop brake pads.

Ajax Bay

Guru
No they aren't, Galvanised cables are not made of Stainless Steel,
Apologies.
Brake cables can be 'galvanised' (these are cheapest) but decent brake cables are 'stainless'.

Quoting Thecyclehub
  • Galvanised cables are cheaper and more commonly used on mass produced bikes, including the complete heaps of garbage that some supermarkets sell for £99
  • Galvanising is really a zinc coating applied often by using a “hot dip” method and is a form of rust proofing
  • Stainless steel is a little more expensive

ChrisEyles

Guru
I use Clarks cables and pads like @raleighnut on my two MTBs and have found them to be good performers and value for money.

Koolstop pads are even better if you need the extra stopping power, I put some on the Mafac centre-pull caliper brakes on my old road bike and they totally transformed the braking performance.

Skuhravy

Veteran
I've found Wiggle's own-brand Lifeline cables are pretty good, at a decent price.

I nearly always use Koolstops - they last ages and are kind to rims as well as being good stoppers.

Don't forget to make sure the ends are square when you cut the outers - I cut them with a bit of old brake cable inside, and finish it off with a hand file.

Finally, I use Rock n Roll Cable Magic to lube the inner cable. It's expensive for a tiny bottle, but it makes a difference. And used sparingly, the bottle lasts ages.

Top Bottom