V brake pads dont fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker2772

So my old v brake pads are 55mm long and I replaced them with 70mm pads. They seem to fit the rim properly without touching the tyres however, when I try to connect the brake cable again, It doesnt not connect as there wasnt enough space to pull the cable in any further.

Please help me.

cheys03

Veteran
If you can post a few photos it'll help us to advise

OP
OP
B

Biker2772

You can see in this image, the cable doesnt fit in the otherside of the hook thing.

Attachments

• 20210318_224930.jpg
    20210318_224930.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
B

Biker2772

It looks like you've put all four spherical-surface washers on the inside of the arm. Two (one convex, one concave) go inside and two outside. Which side thick and which side thin varies by bike.

I am not sure which one is convex and concave. Can you show me an image? And what do you mean by go inside and two outside? Btw, the left side is thick and the right side is thin. I dont know what to do. I am a noob when it comes to these things.

gom

Über Member
There is a picture of the proper washer arrangement here https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Brake_Block_Parts.jpg
Positioning of flat washers - if any - will depend on your specific setup.
Also I find that it is usual to have to adjust where the cable is clamped onto the brakes. As pads wear the adjusters (usually on the brake levers) can be turned to move the pads closer to the rim, but there may come a time when there is no more adjustment but still enough pad left. At that point I move the cable clamp point to “shorten” the cable. Of course this has to be reversed when new blocks are fitted.

gom

Über Member
Not quite quick enough with my reply to be first with the picture!

When taking anything apart, it is good to take photos as you do it. Assuming whoever fitted your previous blocks did it right you would have had a good reference.

weareHKR

When taking anything apart, it is good to take photos as you do it. Assuming whoever fitted your previous blocks did it right you would have had a good reference.
Your words are still valuable tho! :okay:

OP
OP
B

Biker2772

When I put my old brake pads on again, it fits but when i put my new one, it doesnt fit.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not all pads are equal. Slacken the cable by loosening the clamping nut until a good fit is achieved. IME this *always*has to be done.
Consider switching to shoes with replaceable insert pads. Then you probably only need do it if the shoe is damaged or corroded and has to be replaced. Changing pads is pretty much pulling out some pins, sliding the old pads out and new ones in, then inserting new pins. Keep an eye on wear, as shoe+rim = ow.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

or look at the other wheel / brake which hasn't been fubarred.

the cable length will need adjusting when moving from worn pads to new ones in any event

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Usually only by winding the adjuster on the lever in/out, not by reclamping the cable, if the replacement pads are the same type.
fair enough, I don't run v-brakes on any of my fleet.

If I change caliper ones, start by undoing the cable to get enough room to work and to get optimum cable length once replaced.

Top Bottom