V brake posts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

astrocan

Veteran
Just gone to fit some new brake arms to my bike and have noticed that there is some wear on the mounting posts. I have never looked before but there are a couple of flats at the base and they look like they will unscrew.
Are they all the same as my son has an unused pair on his disc braked Claud and I'm sure I could find some more by the same method.
If not, has anyone any idea where I can get replacements? To put new arms on old posts seems like a job half done.

Mr Pig

I've never removed them but I think they would all be the same. I also think they unscrew but you'd better wait until someone who knows what they're talking about comes along! ;0)

Mate of mine made a right mess of his forks trying to remove these posts, ended up drilling them off!

They are most def not all the same but there's nowt to stop you trying. Compare thread pitch before you start screwing them in, you don't want to strip the threads out of the frame.

I wonder why they are worn. All modern cantilever brakes (including every linear-pull or 'V' brake that I've ever encountered) move on their own bushing. I guess the bike is quite old.

Post wear shouldn't be an issue anyway, if they bolt up tight and straight without any play they'll be fine.

e-rider

crappy member
No, they are not all the same and unless the thread has completely gone I'd leave them well alone.

New threadlock is essential when fitting them (or re-fitting them) and you'll find them pretty difficult to remove.

I've never known 'wear' on the posts and it's certainly not a half-job to fit new brakes onto the posts - it's completely normal and very sensible! Don't replace them unless they are broken.

02GF74

Über Member
There are at least two different threads used but the round bit on which the levers pivot, as you owuld expect is the same.

There are two flats, as you correctly observe, and if you have aluminium forks then they will unscrew.

I have removed a couple and boy are they hard to undo!! They are hardened steel but even so can start to round off due to how tight they are fitted - usually with some threadlock compound. Dunno why they don't have a hex section on them to help fitting/removal.

Once you have removed them, run a tap in the fork to clean up the thread, that is if you have the correct size - one is standard but other isn't (I think - I either fitted a button head screw to hold brake hose in place or blocked off with a rubber grommet.)

02GF74

Über Member
7 !?!?!?!? WOW!!! that is 5 more than me!

Top Bottom