V E Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I have mixed emotions on this, whilst I feel "Lest we Forget" is valuable & I think our children should be taught more about the last century history than about the Egyptians, Tudor Kings & Queens (fascinating as they are) did we really ought to be celebrating a 'Victory' day I feel it's a little Englander syndrome, what are we really celebrating?
We are remembering the 5 or 6 years of hardship, suffering, loss and worry our parents and grandparents suffered and celebrating the end of all that. It's nothing to do with little englander syndrome for 99.9% of people I suspect...Mum was 15 on VE day. She remembers the celebrations, the incredible excitement on that day....and night. Apparently,her mum was very protective and watchful. If she and her friends went dancing, she had, had, to be back on time. On VE day, she said no-one cared, they all stayed up all night and celebrated in Alnwick,like a million christmases had all come together. :laugh: No-one went home.
I cant imagine the relief millions of people felt after the horrors they'd endured. No doubt at that time there was a lot of hatred for the Nazis, but that's long gone.

D

Deleted member 26715

We are remembering the 5 or 6 years of hardship, suffering, loss and worry our parents and grandparents suffered and celebrating the end of all that. It's nothing to do with little englander syndrome for 99.9% of people I suspect...Mum was 15 on VE day. She remembers the celebrations, the incredible excitement on that day....and night. Apparently,her mum was very protective and watchful. If she and her friends went dancing, she had, had, to be back on time. On VE day, she said no-one cared, they all stayed up all night and celebrated in Alnwick,like a million christmases had all come together. :laugh: No-one went home.
I cant imagine the relief millions of people felt after the horrors they'd endured. No doubt at that time there was a lot of hatred for the Nazis, but that's long gone.
I think I am capable of understanding what it must have meant then, but I'm not sure that is what it means now, we should never forget what sacrifices were made & those that aren't here to remember it. Maybe I'm just a miserable bugger, but I think the 1 minute silence was more powerful than a party where I'm sure none of the fallen are mentioned or even thought about.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My dad was 17 on VE Day- he and my grandad were working their usual shift down the pit near Leeds. My mum was 12 on a remote farm in North Yorkshire and, as she put it, completely detached from the effects of the war.

gbb

Legendary Member
I think I am capable of understanding what it must have meant then, but I'm not sure that is what it means now, we should never forget what sacrifices were made & those that aren't here to remember it. Maybe I'm just a miserable bugger, but I think the 1 minute silence was more powerful than a party where I'm sure none of the fallen are mentioned or even thought about.
What does it mean now ? It's something I ask myself sometimes and only remarked today to a colleague...'I'm surprised, in a good way, that people still actually do attach some meaning to things like this. In these days of easy come, easy go, everything changes on a sixpence, it mildly surprises me people still adhere to old traditions.

Wholly agree, the 1 or 2 minute silence has a more powerful effect on people I think, gives you (well me anyway) a moment t in time to actually reflect, really think what that might have meant to people at that time. A party doesnt, it's just a celebration, almost abstract, of what happened 75 years ago, it has less, perhaps almost no personal meaning....just something to do.

For some its maybe just a mark of respect...even if its just because you feel you should.
For some, they may remember family members who went through that.
Equally some probably have gone past the caring stage.
And so on and so on...
Theres a myriad of probable reasons, thoughts and opinions, all valid, depending on your personal experiences.

Edited to add...when mum recounted the events of that day and the excitement, I actually almost shuddered and thought, jeez, I imagine how that actually felt ?

pawl

Legendary Member
I have mixed emotions on this, whilst I feel "Lest we Forget" is valuable & I think our children should be taught more about the last century history than about the Egyptians, Tudor Kings & Queens (fascinating as they are) did we really ought to be celebrating a 'Victory' day I feel it's a little Englander syndrome, what are we really celebrating?

I was a war baby born in 1941.I don’t feel i am celebrating a victory but remembering those allied troops who fought and died It is the same with Remembrance Day as the word suggests it is remembering those who gave there lives in defence of this country.

Two uncles of mine died fighting inWW1and there bodies never found Obviously I never knew them and all I have is there names on the war memorial.As the last member of my family I feel I want to celebrate two lives I was deprived of uncles I never knew.As long as I have breath in my body I will continue to buy my poppy and stand at the war memorial not in celebration but in remembrance of there lives

If that makes me a little Englander so be it

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
This is my paternal Nan and Grandad.

75 years ago on VE day Grandad was waking up in Stalag 4f POW camp in Chemnitz Germany to find all the German soldiers had run away.

He was brought home only a few weeks later and this photo is taken then.

They are on West Pier in Morecambe where my Nan and Dad had been living for part of the war.

I love this photo.

View attachment 520839

Morecambe ! I’d forgot about that place , I had a mate in the Army from there ! , anyway , that is a top photo ! I’d say that he was in a Scots Regt looking at his Scots Bonnet, do you recall which Regt he was in ?

gbb

Legendary Member
I was a war baby born in 1941.I don’t feel i am celebrating a victory but remembering those allied troops who fought and died It is the same with Remembrance Day as the word suggests it is remembering those who gave there lives in defence of this country.

Two uncles of mine died fighting inWW1and there bodies never found Obviously I never knew them and all I have is there names on the war memorial.As the last member of my family I feel I want to celebrate two lives I was deprived of uncles I never knew.As long as I have breath in my body I will continue to buy my poppy and stand at the war memorial not in celebration but in remembrance of there lives

If that makes me a little Englander so be it
It desont make you a 'little Englander'...but some people are just looking for something to label people with because it doesnt agree with their view on life.

Morecambe ! I’d forgot about that place
Many people have unfortunately 😥 It's had a lot of money spent in recent years though.

That is a top photo!
TVM :cheers:

Do you recall which Regt he was in ?
Royal Corps of Signals.

tom73

Guru
Anyone else spot the bike shop workers on the bbc1 community vera linn sing along?
Its only a quick shot but you can spot it though. :smile:

Top Bottom