V E Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
VE day yesterday was a holiday, for the first time, in Berlin. And, no, they don't call it DE day ^_^. It's a celebration of the defeat of, and liberation from, fascism.

The holiday isn't very popular with the right-wingers there though. I wonder why...

Edited to add BBC link https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52574748

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's the end of an era for our family as the last member of the generation who fought the war passed away last night. So it's kind of poignant but also fitting, we'll spend the day thinking of her, and of all of my grandparents' generation who fought and died in the war. She made it to 98 years old and passed peacefully in her sleep, there were many others who weren't so fortunate.
My uncle has just shared with us the letter which my late grandmother (WAAF) wrote on VE day (just 'V day' as they called it then) to her fiancee, my grandfather (Lancaster bomber crew). I thought it might make interesting reading. I've edited out the personal stuff.

Monday (7 May 1945) 8.15 pm​

Well the European war is over from tomorrow. I really can't express what I feel, yet in a way I want to get away from everyone in a large field and just think. Perhaps when we are out and back home it will be different.​
We have to parade at 9.45am tomorrow... ...we will be told about our time off. I am a little worried about getting back, I believe the trains are running Sunday service, bet they will be crowded. I do hope my darling we can be together with Mother, it seems a shame not to have one of the family home on V day.​
The noise that some of the boys are making sounds as if they are celebrating already. The Sgts mess is open to every rank. Beer from the officers mess is going to the Sgts. According to the reports, everything is costing 6d. Boy there will be some celebration. Wish however we could be with the gang at Bosworth together with your crew.​
Do hope I'll be seeing you before this reaches you, God bless and pleasant dreams.​
I bet there were some sorry states on that parade ground in the morning.

winjim

Smash the cistern
V day postmark from above letter.

Top Bottom