V E Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
992A700E-B1B1-4EF8-A532-DE3A37A8577C.jpeg

At the Cenotaph 11 O ‘clock

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My friends father this morning, he appears to be slightly over dressed for lockdown and expecting rain.
He is too young to have served in WW2 but retired as a Lieutenant Colonel in REME.
DBB19242-BEA0-4301-BE2E-7222BA2E50EE.jpeg

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
My friends father this morning, he appears to be slightly over dressed for lockdown and expecting rain.
He is too young to have served in WW2 but retired as a Lieutenant Colonel in REME.
View attachment 520788

A lot of Officers wear Bowlers and carry brollies , other ranks tend to wear Berets with their Cap Badge , patch pocket blazer with Reg’tl badge Regtl Tie and grey trousers,
He looks pretty good ........for an Officer 😂

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's the end of an era for our family as the last member of the generation who fought the war passed away last night. So it's kind of poignant but also fitting, we'll spend the day thinking of her, and of all of my grandparents' generation who fought and died in the war. She made it to 98 years old and passed peacefully in her sleep, there were many others who weren't so fortunate.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
It's the end of an era for our family as the last member of the generation who fought the war passed away last night. So it's kind of poignant but also fitting, we'll spend the day thinking of her, and of all of my grandparents' generation who fought and died in the war. She made it to 98 years old and passed peacefully in her sleep, there were many others who weren't so fortunate.
Sorry for your loss.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Sorry for your loss.
Thank you, but don't be. She was 98 years old and died peacefully in her sleep with one of my cousins there. The evening before we had a family Zoom session so we all got to say a few words to her and she could see her great-grandchildren. It was as long a life and as good a death as any of us could possibly hope for.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I agree but also let’s not forget those that were still fighting in the Far East. My father was in Burma on this day 75 years ago. He was 22 and it would be a year before he eventually got back to the uk.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Thank you, but don't be. She was 98 years old and died peacefully in her sleep with one of my cousins there. The evening before we had a family Zoom session so we all got to say a few words to her and she could see her great-grandchildren. It was as long a life and as good a death as any of us could possibly hope for.

She had a “good innings then “ as they say ,
And well remembered , nice ,
My Son phoned me earlier, he was a bit bewildered as to why my Brother had put photos of some one called Tommy Fleming on Facebook this morning ,? I kept quiet for a moment , then said to him , That’s your Great Grandad , he died in WW2 , his war grave is in Basra ,
Oh , sorry he said ,he thought he had been disrespectful, I thought about it , and concluded it was my fault for not educating him about his forefathers ,

tom73

Guru
I was saying the same thing this morning just like back then as now many forget about them.
Wonder how many who got behind Captain Tom realise he's one of "The forgotten army"
War is a horrible thing all round I know from talking to people who have that fighting in the jungle is one of the worse placers you can be.

D

Deleted member 26715

I have mixed emotions on this, whilst I feel "Lest we Forget" is valuable & I think our children should be taught more about the last century history than about the Egyptians, Tudor Kings & Queens (fascinating as they are) did we really ought to be celebrating a 'Victory' day I feel it's a little Englander syndrome, what are we really celebrating?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have mixed emotions on this, whilst I feel "Lest we Forget" is valuable & I think our children should be taught more about the last century history than about the Egyptians, Tudor Kings & Queens (fascinating as they are) did we really ought to be celebrating a 'Victory' day I feel it's a little Englander syndrome, what are we really celebrating?
I think today is not a little Englander day, but more of a celebration of the end of the fighting and the loss of life on all sides. Many countries are doing similar things today.

Top Bottom