Value of a recumbent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrwolf

Hi,

I have a hpv Street Machine recumbent bike.

I dont have the specifications to hand but its a high spec build which cost me around £1700.

It has been ridden like 4 times, before i had to leave the country, so its practically new.

Its currently with friends in Cambridge.

I need to sell it but dont know how much i should be expecting for it.

Does anyone have any advice on how to sell this bike and for how much?

Thanks.

squeaker

Über Member
Tricky: IMHO its getting towards the end of the bike buying season (I reckon April / May is a good time to sell) but recumbents are less predictable, in that there are fewer potential buyers and potential purchases! So could be difficult to shift unless there is someone out there who really wants 'one of those'. Which brings me to my next point: be specific with the ad, with lots of pix - I'm reluctant to guess a price for your Street Machine without knowing more about it.

For regular bikes (of reputable manufacture) I work on 1/3 of new price after 3 years, but that doesn't seem to work for 'bents, which seem to hold their market value better (if a well regarded brand / model).

Options:
1) Give Kevin at D-Tek a call?
2) Advertise it here, and on BHPC and CTC forums: invite offers
3) Put it on e-bay with a minimum that you would be happy with

HTH

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Any further on ? Know how much you want ?

I fancy a 'bent - and the Street Machine is right up there ;)

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Streetmachine is a wonderful bike. I've got one, and would not part with it for anything.

You should do alright on selling it, because the euro has probably risen as quickly as the bike has depreciated. They go on ebay from time to time. Check for previously sold items to get an idea of the guide price versus your particular variant.

I doubt anyone would be able to guess a suitable price until a few more options about your high spec build are known.

2009 Alumninium framed base model new (SMGTe) ~ £1795.
Same 2009 Aluminium framed model, new, but with a streamer mounted over a SON up front, a Rohloff out back, a DT-airshock in the middle, magura louise brakes all around, fancy forks, big apple tyres, mudguards, racks, seat cushion, headrest, clipless pedals and a pair of moonbiker bags ~ £4873.

Alf

Guru
arallsopp said:
2009 Alumninium framed base model new (SMGTe) ~ £1795.
Same 2009 Aluminium framed model, new, but with a streamer mounted over a SON up front, a Rohloff out back, a DT-airshock in the middle, magura louise brakes all around, fancy forks, big apple tyres, mudguards, racks, seat cushion, headrest, clipless pedals and a pair of moonbiker bags ~ £4873.
That's quite amazing. I think that small manufacturers just add on a price for alternative parts and they don't subtract the price for the standard ones. It means the best way to customise a bike is to buy everything as standard and then buy the special bits as extras.

I just had a look at the HPV website again and was surprised how much change there had been in the models that I looked at when I bought my Grasshopper 5 years ago. The Speed machine is the lowest with the biggest difference between seat height and BB height (they also seem to have cut getting on for 2Kg off the weight - which was the reason I didn't buy it before) the Grasshopper next - slightly higher seat and slightly less of difference between seat and BB heights, and the Streetmachine has the highest seat with a BB which is not much higher than the seat. Apart from that, they have become much more similar than they used to be. OK the Grasshopper doesn't have a 26" back wheel and it now folds.

At first I thought they have made them all too similar - what is the point of marketing 3 so similar models? They even look the same. Then I thought that the riding position is probably the answer. It is probably the biggest difference between different bents (apart from the weight, where HPV are still languishing behind Challenge who have at last managed to produce some bikes at around 9 or 10Kg.)

I might have been interested in your Streetmachine (as a replacement for my Grasshopper after I get my Seiran SL) but I think the piggybank is going to be empty for a few years. That's the other trouble with all recumbents - the price!

Alf

OP
OP
M

mrwolf

Hehe, after a lot of consideration I find that I cant bring myself to sell it.

I wanted a street machine for years before I could afford to get myself one, and now i have one i would rather just pay the extra to have it transported to me.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Alf said:
It is probably the biggest difference between different bents (apart from the weight, where HPV are still languishing behind Challenge who have at last managed to produce some bikes at around 9 or 10Kg.)

I might have been interested in your Streetmachine (as a replacement for my Grasshopper after I get my Seiran SL) but I think the piggybank is going to be empty for a few years. That's the other trouble with all recumbents - the price!

Alf

D.TEK HPVS had a mint used (It looked brand new ! ) Seiran SL
on display at the Mildenhall cycle rally held over the Bank Holiday
Perhaps that would meet your needs and save you
loads of ££££££'s over new !:evil:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
mrwolf said:
Hehe, after a lot of consideration I find that I cant bring myself to sell it.

I wanted a street machine for years before I could afford to get myself one, and now i have one i would rather just pay the extra to have it transported to me.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
:bravo: :bravo:

:sad: :sad:

:thumbsup: :smile:

;)

Alf

Guru
Mr Magoo said:
D.TEK HPVS had a mint used (It looked brand new ! ) Seiran SL
on display at the Mildenhall cycle rally held over the Bank Holiday
Perhaps that would meet your needs and save you
loads of ££££££'s over new !:laugh:
That would have been of great interest. But mine is on order. I'll try not to think of the pounds! All the same, it would be nice to know about the SH one. Perhaps I can persuade my wife she should have one too (about time she had a new bike, won't get left behind so much, nice colour etc).

Alf

Top Bottom