Valve Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LibbyL

Hi, I've recently bought my self a Dutch Vindhem bike and I am struggling trying to inflate the front tyre. I have worked out that it is a Woods valve. When I try to inflate the tyre and replace the dustcap the air is escaping very quickly. Am I doing something wrong or is the valve faulty? Many thanks! :smile:

wisdom

Guru
Pop a picture up if you can of the valve and your connector.
I haven't seen woods valved tubes for a long while.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is the top collar around the valve screwed down tight? That's the usual way of deflating them. Woods valves rock because air can't normally escape the way it went in and no springs or nuts hold the valve shut.

If it's an old design, the rubber tube over the valve may have cracked. Replacement tubes are in some puncture repair kits. They look like thin macaroni. Newer designs use a captive ball bearing in the valve and don't perish so quickly.

There are cutaway pictures of both designs in an old post of mine if you search these forums. I can't repost them this evening.

tyred

Legendary Member
Are you using a screw-on type pump nozzle?

Sometimes they can lock on the retaining collar if you screw them on very tight and the retaining collar was a little loose in the first place, therefore the whole lot unscrews together.

Tighten the retaining collar as a first step. Woods valve work very well.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
upload_2019-6-2_12-37-21.jpeg
As a kid, these were the standard valves of the time. As mentioned all puncture kits came with replacement valve rubber in case it got perished. My son bought me a repair kit from Amsterdam, and it was part of the kit.

wisdom

Guru
View attachment 469019 As a kid, these were the standard valves of the time. As mentioned all puncture kits came with replacement valve rubber in case it got perished. My son bought me a repair kit from Amsterdam, and it was part of the kit.
When I was a kid they were the norm on all my bikes.Only fancy "racers" had presta valves.
Schraiders were only just coming through on bikes.I think the first ones i ever saw on a bike were on a Raleigh chopper.
All the puncture kits had valve rubber in them.Never seen them for years.

Top Bottom