Van driver knocks bike over with child in bike seat, and drives over the bike.

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Arjimlad, 7 Mar 2018.

1. Arjimlad

Arjimlad Tights of Cydonia

2. IMO he should never be allowed to drive again. However, the saddest part for me is this quote from the dad:

"The “very angry” father is now considering buying a second car to get around, a court heard."

Another cyclist forced off the road by an inconsiderate moron driver.

xzenonuk, Drago and Arjimlad like this.
  3. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Agreed, a pathetic sentence.

Tangoup51, the_mikey and Arjimlad like this.
  4. Sixmile

Sixmile Über Member

Horrendous. He's happy enough for his solicitor to say he has no sight in his left eye as if to say, 'anything I hit to the left of me isn't my fault'. Regardless, the bike was on the right, he hit it and knew about it. Then with a little faux remorse he shows his selfish nature again, 'I'll lose me job...', 'I need my license', 'it's all about me me me'.

I can't help but feel for the father, no doubt he'd have had family members telling him that he was reckless to go cycling with his child in the seat and now he'll have to bear their 'I told you so' comments too. My in-laws have always been against me taking the kids out on the bike but I can say the trips with the rear seat and subsequently the trailer, have been some of the best rides I have had and probably will ever will have.

xzenonuk, the_mikey, dave r and 5 others like this.
  5. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

:eek:

They should at least have ordered a re-test before allowing him to drive again ffs :cursing:

xzenonuk, the_mikey, dave r and 3 others like this.
  6. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

car-centric society : 1
    cycists : 0

dave r, Arjimlad and classic33 like this.
  7. benb

benb Evidence based cyclist

"both Mr Squires and his son were wearing cycle helmets"
    Phew!

"Tippett told a probation officer he had not realised a child was on the bike"
    The implication being that he thinks his behaviour would have been acceptable if it was only the adult who he nearly killed

8. KneesUp

KneesUp Veteran

If he feels that the lack of sight in the left eye is in any way a mitigating factor, he shouldn't be allowed to drive until he can see with both eyes again. i.e. never.

9. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

Nice to hear the judge refuse his request to keep his licence:
    "You may lose your job. So be it. You are not safe driving."

More of this please!

10. Tizme

Tizme Über Member

I can only agree with glasgowcyclist. If only every Judge/Magistrate said the same!

the_mikey likes this.
  11. Drago

Drago Guru

What an utter nodder.

12. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

I'm not sure the driver's visual disability is the issue here... does being blind in one eye automatically disqualify one from driving?

simon.r likes this.
  13. sheddy

sheddy Guru

perhaps it should do - can one safely judge distance without stereoscopic vision ?

14. CrinklyLion

CrinklyLion Guest

15. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

Stereoscopic vision only really helps judge short distances - within the reach of your hands say.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice