Van swerve - advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
martint235 said:
Ta. I've occasionally read (and become involved in) rows on here where someone has asked advice then berated the people giving it. I genuinely asked for what people thought cos at the time it felt very close but it's unanimous that a. he wasn't deliberately targetting me and b. I'm obviously getting a touch over-confident with my filtering :blush:

Looks like a bit of injudicious filtering to me, but I'm not sure why the van was giving the HGV so much room (cab door, perhaps; poor sight lines beyond the HGV?).

I don't think the van driver bothered about anything other than driving through the gap. Martin if nobody got hurt put it down to experience; not everybody is out to get you although it seems like sometimes and there's no harm in defensive cycling. Perhaps another time you'll wait or go left.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Ooooh, oooh, I recognise those lights from staying in a hotel just round the corner there when we visited the Big Smoke not long back. :o):biggrin:

Anyway, with regard to the vid... did seem a little "swervy" but don't think it was deliberately to intimidate... I thought the van driver thought you were going to filter and so left you room, then when you hung back (a wise move) he took the available space.

Bad timing is all, you both heading for the same bit of road.

bigtrike

I dont think he/she swerved towards you, just that they would appear to be a driver who is what I would refer to as "reactive" rather than intelegent ie. they continue to to pull out untill past there intention, then turn back towards the kerb untill they get onto the white line, then pull back towards the centre of the road etc etc.( a bit like a badly worn shock absorber on a car ).
Definately not a good place to pull out to overtake.

dodgy

He didn't deliberately swerve at you.

If I was a camera toting cyclist (I'm not) I wouldn't even have bothered to tell anyone about this 'incident', let alone put it on Youtube and start a thread about it!

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
dodgy said:
He didn't deliberately swerve at you.

If I was a camera toting cyclist (I'm not) I wouldn't even have bothered to tell anyone about this 'incident', let alone put it on Youtube and start a thread about it!

Well I thought I'd ask for advice and views from other cyclists, it's always good to receive new viewpoints.

As to being a camera toting cyclist, I'm just a regular cyclist that has a camera attached to keep him calm.:biggrin:

Origamist

Legendary Member
martint235 said:
Well I thought I'd ask for advice and views from other cyclists, it's always good to receive new viewpoints.

As to being a camera toting cyclist, I'm just a regular cyclist that has a camera attached to keep him calm.:biggrin:

Don't worry about, Dodgy - he can't resist clicking on Youtube links when he should know better.

TWBNK

I love clicking youtube links, to be honest this video is a good one to look at because it shows a hazard developing.

Personally I would have waited to filter.

I like the fact that you have the camera to keep you calm, I'm just waiting on mine to arrive.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
TWBNK said:
I like the fact that you have the camera to keep you calm, I'm just waiting on mine to arrive.

I must admit I'm not the calmest of people when faced with a moton. Coupled with my size, 6'6", (and the fact my missus says I don't have a self-preservation gene) I've always felt one step away from dragging drivers through windows during arguments. However having a camera means there is no argument. I just point out that I'll forward the video to Roadsafe and let them make a decision about who was in the wrong.

Happy, blissful cycling! :biggrin:

dodgy

I must admit, as a video to show that hazards can develop, it's spot on. So apologies for my earlier dig, I didn't mean it that way. I'm just so used to seeing so many videos posted and for me to say "so what".

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Sorry but I've been through this frame by frame. Because of the reflections on the windscreen and the side window, it's not possible to say for certain if the truck driver is even in the truck. There is a lighter colour in the cab but that could be a cover on the seat, a hiviz jacket on the seat or anything.

The door of the truck doesn't move. If you look at the reflection in the van windscreen the door of the truck still hasn't opened.

I may have been in the wrong place doing the wrong thing but the idea of the truck driver playing a part is pure conjecture

djb1971

Legendary Member
Martin,

You couldn't see a big white transit van coming your way so I doubt you noticed the driver!!

Look again at this snapshot. I would recommend you buy a pair of dark glasses and a white stick tomorrow!

Slide1.jpg

He's there you just have to believe :biggrin:

There's also a ufo at about 45 secs. in too :smile:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
:wacko: I did see a grey transit coming my way though just expected him to stay on his side of the road! :biggrin::blush::smile::sad: Bit worried about this mysterious white transit now!!!

Top Bottom