Van swerve - advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm not sure he swerved at you going by the video alone, but I wasn't there. I would also have been very tempted to do what you did, but the safer option would have been to wait behind because of the parked lorry making oncoming traffic move over towards your side of the road.

dondare

Über Member
It appears to me that he is giving the parked lorry a lot of room and not bothering about you one way or t'other.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Sorry Martin, I cant see anything odd.

However your choice to filter when there was a restriction on the opposite side of the road (with oncoming traffic in clear view) was... "brave" in my view... I would have hung way back.

thomas

the tank engine
dondare said:
It appears to me that he is giving the parked lorry a lot of room and not bothering about you one way or t'other.

I'd agree, it is hard to tell that he did it intentionally to you so I would just forget about it and maybe not filter when that kinda thing is a possibility.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I didn't see any evidence of the truck driver getting out... but having asked for advice I'll take it.

It seemed worse at the time though :blush:

djb1971

Legendary Member
Just a suggestion as to why he moved over :blush:

The driver was probably anticipating it or someone stepping out from behind the truck. He was well within his rights to move over. You were starting to pull out into oncoming traffic which isn't good on a narrowing section of road with a white van coming the other way.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I think if he had a thing against cyclists he would have made a move towards the idiot scooting over the road in front of him.
What time is that ? Southwark Street looks quiet enough for you to have filtered down the inside.

GrasB

Veteran
The van driver takes a fairly straight line but is turning into you slightly. I'd say just a bad filtering decision on your part & reduced space of the van overtaking the lorry makes it feel like a squeeze.

mr_cellophane said:
I think if he had a thing against cyclists he would have made a move towards the idiot scooting over the road in front of him.
What time is that ? Southwark Street looks quiet enough for you to have filtered down the inside.

Ha...I thought it rang a bell...Those funny colour lights on the wall and the bridge says it all.They all drive like ar5e5 down there.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
martint235 said:
I didn't see any evidence of the truck driver getting out... but having asked for advice I'll take it.

It seemed worse at the time though :blush:

Good attitude. (sorry if that sounds patronising).

Cameras do indeed lie as Mikey says, especially on the hills

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
mr_cellophane said:

It was around 7.20. I don't filter down the inside on this bit cos the majority of the traffic turns left at Southwark Bridge Road due to Borough High Street being shut southbound.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
jonny jeez said:
Good attitude. (sorry if that sounds patronising).

Ta. I've occasionally read (and become involved in) rows on here where someone has asked advice then berated the people giving it. I genuinely asked for what people thought cos at the time it felt very close but it's unanimous that a. he wasn't deliberately targetting me and b. I'm obviously getting a touch over-confident with my filtering :blush:

Top Bottom