Varia rear light worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Actually, one feature that I'd like - but which the Varia light doesn't have, would be to run it in radar-only mode during the day to save battery. I don't know why they didn't include it.

Hmmm..... at the moment, the sole advantage of the RVR315 (radar only unit) would seem to be that identified by @Dogtrousers (freedom from the fear of the flasher patrols accosting you for inconsistent or overly rapid flashing) since, on Wiggle at least, they are both £130. Not only that, but the radar only unit has a 7 hour battery life, which compares unfavourably with the 16 hours of the radar+light unit (RTL515). Sooooo..... you can pay the same and not get a light and have half the battery life ..... The radar only unit looks unappealing then ! Presumably it weighs a little less. (EDIT: 51g versus 71g)

I concur on the idea of having a radar only mode, though 16 hours with a flashing, very bright light, is not at all bad. It's a strange omission, nonetheless.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Hmmm..... at the moment, the sole advantage of the RVR315 (radar only unit) would seem to be that identified by @Dogtrousers (freedom from the fear of the flasher patrols accosting you for inconsistent or overly rapid flashing) since, on Wiggle at least, they are both £130. Not only that, but the radar only unit has a 7 hour battery life, which compares unfavourably with the 16 hours of the radar+light unit (RTL515). Sooooo..... you can pay the same and not get a light and have half the battery life ..... The radar only unit looks unappealing then ! Presumably it weighs a little less. (EDIT: 51g versus 71g)

I concur on the idea of having a radar only mode, though 16 hours with a flashing, very bright light, is not at all bad. It's a strange omission, nonetheless.
The radar only unit is £10-£15 cheaper in most places. Wiggle is unusual in having both at the same price. But most places have the radar & light more expensive than Wiggle do.

But TBH, that still isn't enough of a difference in my mind. I am very tempted.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Note their are two versions of it with a light the 510 and the 515. The former claims greater visibility.

Mike_P

Guru
Occurred to me the Varia helps to comply with cycling down the middle of the lane but giving way to traffic by moving to the side of the lane, not that many local roads are fit for cycling down the middle of the lane giving the amount of grot there.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Occurred to me the Varia helps to comply with cycling down the middle of the lane but giving way to traffic by moving to the side of the lane, not that many local roads are fit for cycling down the middle of the lane giving the amount of grot there.

I'd say ... kind of ... yeah. I mean that's what I normally do anyway - sort of - whether or not I have the Varia on. I ride quite centrally but not to the extent that I block what would otherwise be a safe overtake, and if I'm aware that I have one or more cars stuck behind me on a twisty road then I pull over if there's somewhere convenient. The Varia adds a bit to my overall awareness (from mirror, listening and looking back) and helps with that but it's by no means essential.

Mike_P

Guru
Quick read of the manual
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...86BF157E9/EN-US/Varia_RTL515_516_OM_EN-US.pdf

The 515s lit modes are:-
- solid high intensity light will flash when a vehicle approaches,
- solid moderate intensity light will softly flash when a vehicle approaches ("peleton mode")
- high intensity slow flash will flash quickly when a vehicle approaches ("night mode")
- maximum intensity occasional flash will flash quickly when a vehicle approaches ("day mode")

So anyone concerned with the variable flashing issus should use either of the first two.

There is a further mode of standby with neither the light or radar working , just battery drain compared to being off.
Bit odd that there is no radar working no light option.

The 516 for the German market has the solid mode only with no flashing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom