Varia rear light worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Good review of the camera equipped version
https://the5krunner.com/2022/05/20/garmin-varia-rct715-review/

Mike_P

Guru
My 530 came up with a message of low radar battery today. Flip, knew there was something I had to do. I switched the Varia off for a while until I came to join a busy A road. The 530 never refound the Varia.

My 530 came up with a message of low radar battery today. Flip, knew there was something I had to do. I switched the Varia off for a while until I came to join a busy A road. The 530 never refound the Varia.

There's certain Garmin rules about reconnecting which are pain sometimes. If you are outside the auto-reconnection window you have to go into the edge and tell it to reconnect. I've had to do that with a power meter battery that died. I cycled to the shop to get a new one. At first it wouldn't reconnect until I realised you had to do it manually.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you've never been dazzled by a car driving with full beams on I would be amazed. Even worse on a bike - cars somehow don't see you.
They generally see me and dip, else they do after I wave my hand across my light, making it appear to flash to them. Maybe you need better lights? ;)

It is of course possible to use car headlights badly, but it is possible to use them legally. Some bike lights have no practical way to use them legally, though, without dazzling. But we're probably drifting off the Varia, which it seems has some legal modes.

Mike_P

Guru
Occurred to me that as the Varia changes modes when it detects an approaching vehicle, which IME when using it on my ebike which also has a mirror is still some distance away, the change of mode would not be immediately in the face of the approaching motorist which would be the issue with a rear light that constantly changed its flashing frequency.

Mike_P

Guru
Penny under £120 at Argos https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8876597

geocycle

Legendary Member
Actually, one feature that I'd like - but which the Varia light doesn't have, would be to run it in radar-only mode during the day to save battery. I don't know why they didn't include it.
I’ve just got the RTL515, the light version and absolutely love it. Really easy to use and pair with phone and Wahoo elemnt bolt. Seemed to work flawlessly in detecting vehicles, even clusters of them. It is good to know that behind the wagon are two or three other cars. I had mine on day flash mode with more than half battery left after 50 odd miles. Perfect for this time of year but not keen on flashing folk all summer, so I agree a way of turning light off but leaving radar running would be ideal. It seems the more recent Garmins can do this but not the Wahoo or app. Interested in anyone knows a work around. Mounts fine on saddlebag.
3AD72565-B9CD-4A16-B301-EEA53FD0505C.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Not aware of a turning off function on the Wahoo. My Garmin 530 should have the ability but it constantly comes up with Light Network not found immediately after finding the Light Network. Consequently I have my Varia on flash all year.

geocycle

Legendary Member
On the Garmin 1040 and 1030+ computer you can turn the light off in the Light Network widget and the radar still functions.
Don't know if you can on a Wahoo though.
Thanks. I have read around and it doesn’t seem to be possible with Wahoo and even the lower end Garmins. Not sure whether Wahoo are able to do it or if it’s a licensing thing. It’s the same with the phone app. I did look at the RT315 radar only version but the battery is only 7h which is counterintuitive given you get 16 h and a light with the RTL515.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
To be honest the battery capacity of the newer one (RTL515) than my older one (RTL510) that I no longer feel the need to switch the light off. The older one didn't have sufficient battery to last a full all day ride. The newer one does.

Top Bottom