Varia rear light worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Are you using a Wahoo? My Garmin Edge 520 plus has no row of red LEDs.
Yes a Elemnt Bolt which has a row of LEDs above its screen. Can get confusing navigating as the same red LEDs get displayed if a turning has been missed. I was only using the Bolt still yesterday as I has not swapped the mount for the one for the new Edge 530 I have

mustang1

Legendary Member
I like it but I don't see why it's any better than a mirror for my purposes. I ride in town where there are loads of cars so it's always warning me. I guess it's more useful on a tour or a ride that involves less cars about.

I love the way you can just power on the garmin and all f+r lights come on as well and it auto-adjusts the brightness and intensity etc.

Mike_P

Guru
I agree on busy roads wanting to do a right hand turn a mirror is the better option but all round generally the Varia has a lot of benefits.

Mike_P

Guru
The vehicle count add on (My Bike Radar Traffic) for the Garmin actually has a number of more useful displays than just summing up how cars have passed you. You need to go into IQ Apps in Garmin Express (with the Garmin attached to the pc), right click on the app and choose Settings (a typical clear as mud Garmin arrangment) and you can pick a number alternative to be displayed, one or more -
Display Approach Speed (Relative)
Display Vehicle Speed (Absolute)
Display Last Vehicle Speed (Absolute)
Display Lap Total

Last edited:

alex_cycles

Veteran
The vehicle count add on (My Bike Radar Traffice) for the Garmin actually has a number of more useful displays than just summing up how cars have passed you. You need to go into IQ Apps in Garmin Express (with the Garmin attached to the pc), right click on the app and choose Settings (a typical clear as mud Garmin arrangment) and you can pick a number alternative to be displayed, one or more -
Display Approach Speed (Relative)
Display Vehicle Speed (Absolute)
Display Last Vehicle Speed (Absolute)
Display Lap Total

Isn't it better/easier to just do it from the Garmin Connect IQ website without plugging into your computer?
(It will then download via your phone and Bluetooth - just like updates and ride data - unless you have a really old Garmin Edge)

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/c5d949c3-9acb-4e00-bb2d-c3b871e9e733

Or have I missed the point? Can it not be configured without Garmin Express (which I barely ever use)?

Mark pallister

I’ve the older version about 3years now
I cycle around 10,000 mls a tear and always use it
battery still lasts about 8hrs depending on the amount of city cycling
wouldn’t be without one now ,safety wise I reckon it’s the best thing you can spend your cash on

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have very recently purchased one of these and it is excellent, I mustard mitt.
Paired faultlessly with an Element Bolt but I have disabled the top row LED's from notifying vehicles and directional turns - mine just indicate HR zones and nothing else.

Does anyone just use the night radar only version? I have a rear light already so this would be a cheaper option.

https://ciclimattio.com/en/p/garmin...aJtuwizGEtAlWZCmAPRV7PZZXw9TJ4dRoCX7EQAvD_BwE

(Need to check if that site is kosher by the way)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Does anyone just use the night radar only version? I have a rear light already so this would be a cheaper option.

https://ciclimattio.com/en/p/garmin...aJtuwizGEtAlWZCmAPRV7PZZXw9TJ4dRoCX7EQAvD_BwE

(Need to check if that site is kosher by the way)
The light is actually very good and one major benefit over and above being controllable by the head unit is the fact that the flashing pattern changes as cars approach which hopefully helps alert the driver even more.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I considered the no-light option before purchasing but quite glad I went for the full fat version. The light is very bright and dynamically changes, apparently but also, it means just a single device to charge instead of radar and a light. I would highly recommend this piece of kit!

The light is actually very good and one major benefit over and above being controllable by the head unit is the fact that the flashing pattern changes as cars approach which hopefully helps alert the driver even more.
I do have a see sense Icon light that does change its pattern based on what's behind me so I'm not sure if I would get the benefit of the flashing.

Top Bottom