Varia rear light worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
The light is actually very good and one major benefit over and above being controllable by the head unit is the fact that the flashing pattern changes as cars approach which hopefully helps alert the driver even more.
When I ride with a group its quite handy to put it into 'Peleton' mode and if I remember switch back after I've left to 'blinding' mode. One group I ride with also insist on 'solid lights and I prefer flashing so its similarly handy to switch the modes easy and know exactly what mode I'm in :okay:

mustang1

Legendary Member
Vario rear light: yeah it's good but I'd only get it if you're bored and fancy buying something. More sophistacated than a mirror and less gaudy-looking too but I can't see enough of a reason to really buy one. But overall, yes it's good and does it's job well.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Vario rear light: yeah it's good but I'd only get it if you're bored and fancy buying something. More sophistacated than a mirror and less gaudy-looking too but I can't see enough of a reason to really buy one. But overall, yes it's good and does it's job well.
No blind spots and consistency (not affected by vibrations, other's lights, greater night time visibility etc) are big things to me. I would have been a naesayer (why do I need to spend £150 on something I could get for free, a shoulder check or cheap, a mirror) but until you actually get a Varia you don't really realise how good it is and why there was dozens of reasons to buy it 👍

alex_cycles

Veteran
No blind spots and consistency (not affected by vibrations, other's lights, greater night time visibility etc) are big things to me. I would have been a naesayer (why do I need to spend £150 on something I could get for free, a shoulder check or cheap, a mirror) but until you actually get a Varia you don't really realise how good it is and why there was dozens of reasons to buy it 👍

I was sceptical to begin with, but others in the club had them so could see how good they were. Then what sealed the deal was a Black Friday offer for £100 in 2019 (down from £150ish). Don't like riding on the roads without it now. I think they're very expensive at the full £170 though, but I'd probably still replace it if I lost it or it broke.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I have a varia. Those are good reasons but with a few caveats. I think the varia will not pick up a car that is following you at exactly the speed you are riding because it needs to bounce it's radar waves on things that have a different speed.
But, it is very good and I'm glad I got it.

alex_cycles

Veteran
I have a varia. Those are good reasons but with a few caveats. I think the varia will not pick up a car that is following you at exactly the speed you are riding because it needs to bounce it's radar waves on things that have a different speed.
But, it is very good and I'm glad I got it.

Yes. Correct.But it will pick up the car getting to that place in the first place.

It's designed not to beep under those circumstances in case you are cycling with other riders. But if a car is trailing you for a long time you have to be aware. It will then beep again when the car accelerates to pass you.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I was sceptical to begin with, but others in the club had them so could see how good they were. Then what sealed the deal was a Black Friday offer for £100 in 2019 (down from £150ish). Don't like riding on the roads without it now. I think they're very expensive at the full £170 though, but I'd probably still replace it if I lost it or it broke.
I forget exactly how much I paid for it but it was the same story a few had them and one of them pointed the rest of us to a Black Friday deal in 2019 and if it was broke/stolen I'd probably replace it too :okay:

Thanks chaps. I think I'll put it on a price watch and swoop when it's on offer.

Mike_P

Guru
I got mine via eBay, it wasn't the cheapest priced but there was a eBay % discount on and bags of additional nectar points which made it the cheapest.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
One top tip if you are thinking about getting one is to ride in a group with someone who has one, because the Varia uses ANT+ you can connect to multiple headunits simultaneously. I was the first in my group to get one and one by one everyone connected to mine to test it out, over the next few months every single one of my Sunday group purchased their own through my partner account.

Solocle

Über Member
I went and bought a Varia 715.

1655047701121.png

1655047744941.png

1655047759017.png

Very impressive from what I've seen so far.

Top Bottom