Vegan Ultra processed food... again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Guys, I don't have independent greengrocers local to me, so no half cabbages to be had.
There are many Asian independents near my work, but they don't sell their veg in halves either.
Truly, on this thread it's the first time I come across the sale of half cabbages!
I can't remember this happening not even when I used to live in Italy.

Best way to find one nowadays is to avoid the high street and look for a local Farm Shop or market

The rest have been priced out by the supermarkets

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Aye, but one can only buy a whole cabbage, not a half or a quarter.
Sometimes I share a cabbage with another single person: she is a member of a community fridge, gets lots of veg for pennies.
Still, sometimes the cabbages are really big, so I share the half of my half with another friend :laugh:

As a single person I have no problem with cabbage which can keep ok for at least a month. Similarly onions in season will keep indefinitely when hung in a string bag with plenty air space around. Carrots are a problem mostly but best not to go for the cheapest.
Nothing goes to waste as any signs of getting too old and it goes into soup.
My father was a professional gardener so I was brought up to know all about vegetable storage before fridges were common.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
As a single person I have no problem with cabbage which can keep ok for at least a month.
True, it's more fridge space issue for me, also I'm not a great cabbage eater.
However, I do like and grow my own Kale, of which I can harvest a few portions even in winter.
It's getting increasingly difficult to buy single items these days, never mind halves.
Yes, in spite of the increased number of one person households compared to years ago.
My to go multiples are Aldi or Lidl: in my area they do not sell single carrots, onions or potatoes, need to go to the smaller Tesco for those.
The struggle to buy just a few potatoes is real!
Best way to find one nowadays is to avoid the high street and look for a local Farm Shop or market
Sadly I don't have any nearby, there is one near my work, but it's on a Saturday ... while I'm on shift.
Most of those farm markets are on a Saturday, all of them are vastly overpriced here.
What us single people need, is a small heated greenhouse space to grow our own small quantities.
It should come as standard with all new builds, and retrofitted to older properties ^_^

Many years ago we (i.e. me and my ex) used to get Linda McCartney sausages because she was trying to cut down on meat

I quite liked them

so I bought some more just before Christmas
Just tried them

rubbish

just a sort of casing enclosing some tasteless mush - no texture and not much taste

not trying them again

Mike_P

Guru
Came across a recipe for Vegan Cheesecake today
Ingredients include...

Flora Vegan whipping cream
Ingredients:

Lentil Protein Preparation (water, 1.1% Lentil Protein), Palm Fat, Rapeseed Oil, Sugar, Modified Corn Starch, Emulsifiers (sunflower Lecithin, Sugar Esters Of Fatty Acids, Mono-and Diglycerides Of Fatty Acids), Stabilisers (guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum), Natural Flavours, Salt, Colourant (beta-carotene).

Violife Cream cheese
Water, Coconut Oil (23%), Starch, Sea Salt, Acidity Regulator: Glucono-Delta-Lactone, Flavourings, Olive Extract, Vitamin B12.

errrm... no thanks!

This is a commercially produced one (Gu Plant Salted Caramel) that is both gluten free and vegan suitable;
Coconut extract (22%)
Water
Caramel (16%) - sugar, water, xanthan gum, pectin, modified starch
Coconut oil
Muscovado sugar
Demerara sugar
Sugar
Palm oil
Brown rice flour
Potato starch
Maize flour
Soya protein concentrate