Vegan Ultra processed food... again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
I have no idea who or what HBB or TommyK are.

I do know about Great British Chefs. Avoid.

Heinz baked beans and tomato ketchup - the latter is a regular ingredient in many top kitchens.

CXRAndy

Guru
Opposite end for me, seven 16oz steaks in the last 10 days.

Keto, intermittent fasting for me.

I don't dislike vegetables, I enjoy meat

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

My OP was prompted by a recipe on Great British Chefs, such multi processed confections seem to me the very antithesis of Vegan principles - be they based on health or environmental principles.

Aldi's plant menu range of vegan foods does sell itself as the healthy alternative to animal based products... but it's just as processed as any processed food. Meat eater or Vegan... the only healthy way to eat is to make most of your own food and not buy too much ready made sh!t.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
tomato ketchup
You can easily make your own: tomato pure, vinegar, brown sugar is the most basic recipe.
There are many variations, starting from fresh tomatoes instead of tomato puree, the addition of spices, etc.
I have tried the basic recipe, it's actually OK.

Yeah, because there's nothing massively processed in an omni diet...

A vegan diet being somehow difficult to manage, expensive or unhealthy is a total myth.

Check out the Thug Kitchen recipe book for some proper advice.

The problem with a vegan diet is that some people don;t check the nutrition

People are generally brought up to know the old "5-a-day" and "meat and 2 veg" type things and so generally get the right nutrition (ish)

but if you become vegan then it is easy to miss out on some nutirants - you need to look at some advise

which people don't

The Science technician at a school I worked at was Vegan and very unhealthy
but then she also avoided pretty much anything with any nutrients in it and so was ill most of the time
The Science teachers did try to advise her - but listening wasn't her strong suit! Which was why there was a problem in the first place!

MontyVeda

The Science technician at a school I worked at was Vegan and very unhealthy
but then she also avoided pretty much anything with any nutrients in it and so was ill most of the time
The Science teachers did try to advise her - but listening wasn't her strong suit! Which was why there was a problem in the first place!

That sounds more like eating disorder territory than just being a naïve vegan.

Often there's a much bigger picture to what one sees on the surface.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
You can easily make your own: tomato pure, vinegar, brown sugar is the most basic recipe.
There are many variations, starting from fresh tomatoes instead of tomato puree, the addition of spices, etc.
I have tried the basic recipe, it's actually OK.

Yes, but when all I want is tablespoon or two for a marinade....

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yes, but when all I want is tablespoon or two for a marinade....
A bottle of Heinz has a date of expiry, correct?
Are you going to use the ketchup within this date?
If yes, I agree, buy the bottle of processed sauce.
If not, 2 tablespoons of tomato pure, a drop of vinegar, a teaspoon of sugar, some spices, would be the healthier option, cheaper too, imo.
I buy ready made coleslaw even though it wouldn't take me long to make my own - mayo included, because I would waste most of the homemade one.
How much cabbage, carrots, onions, mayo can a single household possibly eat before it spoils? :laugh:

simongt

Guru
Have you considered the possibility that Vegans might choose their diet to avoid animal products ? Health and environment are not criteria exclusive to vegans. And vegan can be as unhealthy as any other diet.
Interesting point. 'Vegan food' doesn't necessarily mean that it's all healthy non processed / ultra processed. :whistle:

simongt

Guru
How much cabbage, carrots, onions, mayo can a single household possibly eat before it spoils?
This illustrates a dying skill; don't buy more food items than can be consumed before they begin to deteriorate.
Apparently, the UK has the highest food waste record in Europe, although I think that part of this is also down to folk's blind belief in use by / sell by dates. :dry:

This illustrates a dying skill; don't buy more food items than can be consumed before they begin to deteriorate.
Apparently, the UK has the highest food waste record in Europe, although I think that part of this is also down to folk's blind belief in use by / sell by dates. :dry:

There is also the "skill" - or probably just expertise, knowledge and thinking ahead - of looking at what you have and using up the stuff that is about to go off

Like making a soup out of old veg rather than chucking it out or stews

MontyVeda

Probably something to do with them washing the spuds and carrots which vastly reduces their shelf life. I used to buy a big sack of mucky spuds and it'd last months. Same with carrots when we used to be able to buy mucky ones... they'd last for ages. Washed carrots last barely a week before they go bendy.

albion

Guru
Veguary is taking off big, so likely as not I will give it a go.

Not that it will be of major use with a certain few being responsible for 90% of global warming.

Top Bottom