Veggie/vegetarian/full on meat eater/which are you and why ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You don't see the cheaper / more interesting cuts of meat on a supermarket shelf, whereas I can get things like ox cheek and pigs' trotters, lamb hearts and locally sourced rabbits in the local butcher.

I used to use a Morrissons that did trotters, hearts, oxtail , etc etc. Not near it any more so don't know if it still does.

Alex321

Veteran
Cous cous is actually a type of pasta, where the dough is grated and then dried.

I posted that a few years back and some knobhead said "No it's a grain" some people are just thick.

Neither of these are actually true.

CousCous is made from semolina, which is part of the grain of Durrum Wheat - not the same grain that pasta is normally made from.

It is not dried and grated pasta, but nor is it made from whole grain.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

CousCous is made from semolina, which is part of the grain of Durrum Wheat - not the same grain that pasta is normally made from.

No it is Durem wheat mixed with Oil and then passed through a sieve

Nope. Wot @raleighnut says is correct.

The best quality italian pasta is made from Durum wheat. Semolina is just a coarse milling of said wheat and is used for a multitude of things. Including that stodgy staple of school dinners desserts - semolina pudding. It's very interchangeable with polenta, which is essentially the same sort of thing, but made from corn, not wheat.

Alex321

Veteran
Nope. Wot @raleighnut says is correct.

The best quality italian pasta is made from Durum wheat. Semolina is just a coarse milling of said wheat and is used for a multitude of things. Including that stodgy staple of school dinners desserts - semolina pudding. It's very interchangeable with polenta, which is essentially the same sort of thing, but made from corn, not wheat.

It still isn't pasta that has been dried and grated.

True, but not most of what we get from the supermarkets (whether fresh or dried).

And semolina (and hence Couscous) is made from the hardest bits which are the bits left when the durum wheat is milled into the flour from which pasta is made.

Baldy

Über Member
Semolina is made from wallpaper paste, couscous as I've already said is just woodchip neither are edible. Also what's the point of tufu, it has no taste, no texture and no calorific value. Total pointless.

PK99

Legendary Member
Semolina is made from wallpaper paste, couscous as I've already said is just woodchip neither are edible. Also what's the point of tufu, it has no taste, no texture and no calorific value. Total pointless.

Your loss that you have never had these properly prepared

Couscous, with mixed seeds and pre-soaked* sultanas, softened with a nice chicken or veg stock and a touch of balsamic/olive oil dressing = A perfect side dish for griddled lamb kebab.
or
Couscous as the Carb accompaniment to a rich tagine

Any basic carb if cooked simply and not dressed is dull.
Plain boiled potato (no butter or olive oil).
Baked potato with nothing added.
Plain cooked pasta with no sauce.
Plain boiled rice

Blame the cook not the ingredient!

*I'd recommend a nice dry sherry. the soaking liquor is then a chef's cheeky treat!

I'm going more and more Veggie as I get older. I'd be a rubbish hunter - I'd be letting the cute piggies run away.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm going more and more Veggie as I get older
I actually think that's a thing and think it's the same for a lot of us. We get all the too much meat eating thing over with in our twenties and thirties and from there on slowly our body starts to tell us we don't really need all that meat protein.

Alex321

Veteran
I actually think that's a thing and think it's the same for a lot of us. We get all the too much meat eating thing over with in our twenties and thirties and from there on slowly our body starts to tell us we don't really need all that meat protein.

Not sure my body got that message, or if it did, it forgot to tell my brain :smile:

Top Bottom