Veggie/vegetarian/full on meat eater/which are you and why ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
The "why" is optional.
Me.....I will eat most things. Am put off by innards eg faggots and black pudding but will happily eat veg, salad, meat etc.

My family (daughter, SiL, 2 of the 3 children all turned vegetarian....for ethical reasons eg fish farming. One of them has decided he misses chicken so now eats that.

@vickster happily says she loves fish but won't eat meat.

Each to his own so this is purely out of interest.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I eat poultry and fish. Very rarely eat red meat apart from a bit of bacon every now and then.

Tenkaykev

Guru
60 years a veggie, a couple of spells of veganism. It's been interesting watching the shift in attitudes and availability of veggie foods/ meals into the mainstream. One seven month spell of a soya and gluten free vegan diet as the medical people were trying to diagnose my symptoms ( a rare blood cancer)

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
77 years now of eating everything put in front of me, there’s not a lot I havnt eaten. From T bone steak to Lobster I’ve polished them all off. Some of the Army food was some of the best I’ve eaten. When I was a kid if you didn’t eat everything on your plate you sat there till you did.
Similar here.
I have eaten snails on several occasions.
Also eaten frogs legs which were very enjoyable.
Strangely I really dislike fat and have to cut it all off any meat.

Punkawallah

Über Member
I’ll remove fat from meat after cooking, does that count? Can’t grok this vegan thing, it seems like a proper faff on.
For myself I try to avoid ‘bottom feeders’, and eat things from further up the food chain. People are omnivores, and while they might have preferences, if they’re hungry enough they’ll eat anything. These modern including/excluding foods ideas are a luxury that goes out the window in times of necessity.

‘If it doesn’t move, eat it. If it does move, hit it until it stops moving - then eat it’.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm a metatarian.

Partly because I like meat, I need the protein and millenia of evolution has left me biologically adapted to eat both.

I don't eat huge amounts though, not like I'm a bacon for breakfast sort. I seem to eat less of everything as I age.

vickster

Legendary Member
The "why" is optional.
Me.....I will eat most things. Am put off by innards eg faggots and black pudding but will happily eat veg, salad, meat etc.

My family (daughter, SiL, 2 of the 3 children all turned vegetarian....for ethical reasons eg fish farming. One of them has decided he misses chicken so now eats that.

@vickster happily says she loves fish but won't eat meat.

Each to his own so this is purely out of interest.

Having been called out specifically :rolleyes:
Used to be a reasonable carnivore (except no lamb since childhood for ethical reasons as sheep are gods, or offal as nasty texture and taste)…
However, I found myself eating less meat red and white and then I basically started to find the taste, smell of raw and cooked meat and especially the texture deeply unpleasant. I did try a bit of chicken on holiday about a couple of months after no meat and it made me gag and had to spit it out!
Fish and seafood have a much softer texture to me (as long as not ruined by overcooking). 80% or more of what I eat now is vegetarian, I’m certainly not a vegan!
Nothing really to do with ethics (I would hope most would prefer farming to be as kind to the creatures as possible?) I have no issue with others eating meat in my presence but I do struggle with the smell in very meat heavy restaurants with an open kitchen (eg Nandos) and the smell from bbqs does make me feel a bit sick if I’m out cycling! I avoid going to bbqs too (I was never a massive fan but that’s the more eating outside being plagued by wasps and flies aspect)!
:smile:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Certain things I just don't like. Mushrooms, tomatoes, salads, turnips, swedes, cabbage.

Love meat, and fish and most other vegetables. We tend to eat smaller amounts of meat now and have more veggies.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not much I would not eat.
We used to eat a lot of fish and shellfish as I had creels and went line fishing and diving for scallops and lobster. We also had a large and productive garden and a polytunnel so lots of fruit and veg in season. The occasional red deer staggered into our freezer as well as rabbits which I caught myself as well as salmon about which the less said the better.
I rarely eat red meat nowadays as it is expensive.

Jotheboat

Omnivore but very few carbs due to T2 Diabetes. Out of the macronutrients that keep us going, protein, fat and Carbohydrate, the only one we can do without is Carbs.
For me, its quality meat (grass fed if possible and unprocessed) and above-ground veg. Loads of eggs and fish too.

I am surprised that many people shun real food in favour of processed stuff. Margarine or spreads over butter for example. Or pretend burgers.

Chief Broom

Veteran
99% vegetarian, might eat fish n chips once a year or if im in a motorway service station and they only have chicken or tuna sandwiches i might have one. I used to fish a lot for sea trout which is meant to be a one of the best fish to eat....but really im not bothered and would just as well have something veggie. I cant kill anything anymore and have given up fishing....yep i know someone else is doing the killing for me if i have fish n chips but im not chasing to be %100
*have kept my fishing gear for apocalypse survival :laugh:
DSCF3401.JPG

Top Bottom