Veggie/vegetarian/full on meat eater/which are you and why ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Having been called out specifically :rolleyes:
Used to be a reasonable carnivore (except no lamb since childhood for ethical reasons as sheep are gods, or offal as nasty texture and taste)…
However, I found myself eating less meat red and white and then I basically started to find the taste, smell of raw and cooked meat and especially the texture deeply unpleasant. I did try a bit of chicken on holiday about a couple of months after no meat and it made me gag and had to spit it out!
Fish and seafood have a much softer texture to me (as long as not ruined by overcooking). 80% or more of what I eat now is vegetarian, I’m certainly not a vegan!
Nothing really to do with ethics (I would hope most would prefer farming to be as kind to the creatures as possible?) I have no issue with others eating meat in my presence but I do struggle with the smell in very meat heavy restaurants with an open kitchen (eg Nandos) and the smell from bbqs does make me feel a bit sick if I’m out cycling! I avoid going to bbqs too (I was never a massive fan but that’s the more eating outside being plagued by wasps and flies aspect)!
:smile:

That is interesting..... I really am fascinated by the variety of tastes and reasons. My own family is an example.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not much I would not eat.
We used to eat a lot of fish and shellfish as I had creels and went line fishing and diving for scallops and lobster. We also had a large and productive garden and a polytunnel so lots of fruit and veg in season. The occasional red deer staggered into our freezer as well as rabbits which I caught myself as well as salmon about which the less said the better.
I rarely eat red meat nowadays as it is expensive.

Scallops do 'nothing' for me. When I used to dive for them (near Oban) I would give mine to one of the guys as he loved them. Similar with lobsters....I have had them several times but can 'take or leave' them.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Scallops do 'nothing' for me. When I used to dive for them (near Oban) I would give mine to one of the guys as he loved them. Similar with lobsters....I have had them several times but can 'take or leave' them.

Depends how scallops are cooked and this probably applies to lobster as well. Most chefs or cooks dowse them in a fancy sauce which is all you can taste. Quick fry with a bit of bacon is the only way.Do not overcook.
Lobster and langoustine obviously boil and that is it. We once had large crayfish which were grilled over an open fire on the quayside there.
We were once invited out to dinner which consisted of a large tray of langoustine in their shell plus of course a few bottles of wine. Marvellous, just delve in with hands and that was it.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Depends how scallops are cooked and this probably applies to lobster as well. Most chefs or cooks dowse them in a fancy sauce which is all you can taste. Quick fry with a bit of bacon is the only way.Do not overcook.
Lobster and langoustine obviously boil and that is it. We once had large crayfish which were grilled over an open fire on the quayside there.
We were once invited out to dinner which consisted of a large tray of langoustine in their shell plus of course a few bottles of wine. Marvellous, just delve in with hands and that was it.
Quite possibly/probably true. I have eaten lobster in a pub and in a (very) expensive restaurant. I didn't dislike it, just wasn't that fussed (just my taste).
I used to enjoy taking my kayak out, catching mackerel and BBQ them on the beach.......I am drooling now.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I was brought up to eat anything and everything put in front of me. I still eat most things, only thing i don't like is smoked salmon. I eat meat 2 or 3 times a day without fail, it's just habit more than anything

gbb

Legendary Member
Meat eater but its often occurred to me I could go without.
Even Sunday dinner, I could go without the meat and really enjoy the remainder.
A typical salad, I often go without meat ( ham typically ), just build it up with cheese or beetroot.

I like meat...but not to the point where its the be all and end all.

I try not to eat too much processed meat, bacon, ham, that kind of stuff...even through I enjoy it

gbb

Legendary Member
I am surprised that many people shun real food in favour of processed stuff. Margarine or spreads over butter for example. Or pretend burgers.
Possibly because we (figuratively speaking) have all become lazy and processed stuff is as good as instant.
I love fresh food, hate eating too much processed foods, frozen meals..,and yet they're remarkably handy, almost instant, relatively cheap etc etc.
Every Sunday dinner for us is fresh food, prepared and cooked traditionally ( barring the yorkshires ), its wonderful...but you spend half a morning preparing and cooking.
Workdays, we eat fairly well but at the pace of life we all seem to have, speed seems to take precedence, quick, easy.
I reign in the processed stuff we buy occasionally, it creeps up on you.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

I only have Scallops once in a while (TFD) but I like mine on some fried Black Pudding so what I do is fry the sliced Black Pudding in Butter then put that on the plates in a warm oven while I fry the Scallops for a couple of minutes each side in the same pan with a sprinkle of salt and a grind of Black Pepper.

The other good thing is you get some lovely lightweight ashtrays, ideal for camping.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I was brought up as a veggie as ‘meat is too expensive to give to an ungrateful child like you’. I heard it so often it still echoes around my head. However I see myself as a pescatarian nowadays.
There was a nice dinner lady who used to give me fish-fingers every Friday and said ‘shhhh, don’t tell your parents’.
I occasionally eat tuna now, white fish, occasionally salmon and fishfingers. Not prawns though, they look like little corpses in my curry. Definitely not crab. Not after Australia and food poisoning.
As an adult, I have tried meat. I have tried beef and didn’t like the texture or taste. I tried lamb and didn’t get past the smell. I have tried pork, bacon, ham etc. I have tried chicken, turkey, ostrich, kangaroo and crocodile. I gave meat eating a whirl for about a year but decided that it just did nothing for me.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'll eat pretty much anything, so long as it's appetising.
No preference ether way on the great veggie/carnivore debate.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I could easily be a vegetarian if meat was banned, but as I can't eat cheese or dairy, the protein in meat fills me up. I do love fresh food but often go through phases of eating processed stuff because it's often cheaper and more convenient. You can't beat a nice beef stew with all the root veg though

Top Bottom