Veggie/vegetarian/full on meat eater/which are you and why ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I eat pretty much anything but I draw the line at some fashionable vegetables like kale, couscous and black rice. I personally just find them tedious.

Ideally I'm (and for long periods of my life have been) what I like to think of as an ethical , sparing carnivore.

In practice, now retired, living in a small flat in the suburbs or a small city, I'm 73% vegetarian, 25% pescatarian and 2% ethical-ish carnivore. I enjoy bovine and ovine liver, I eat no pig products and when I visit poultry-keeping friends, they'll sometimes have a home-raised bird for me - or an old hen who's stopped laying ie a boiling fowl. I'm happy to 'do the deed' myself. I used to shoot and keep my own poultry, so would have game or rabbits in the past. There are deer around here, but somehow I don't think the residents of north Preston would be very thrilled if I were to start stalking the local deer and making myself a fine venison stew ...

My objection to meat is not livestock rearing/ meat production in and of itself, but rather the increasingly long and stressful journeys which must too often be undertaken for industrial slaughter.
Slaughter should - IMO - be carried out close to home, and long journeys should be on the hook, not on the hoof. I also object to the waste inherent in much 'modern' meat production. What happened to 'using every bit of the pig except the squeak'? Although I suppose the use of meat 'slurry' (aka mechanicall recovered meat) in processed meat products counteracts that somewhat, as does the pet food industry.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Going by your logic, the same must then be true of spaghetti...

I thing we're going to have to agree to disagree.

OTOH, sprout bhajis... :hungry:

I love spaghetti, especially if you let the sauce seep into it for the last couple of minutes of cooking. Cous cous just doesn't cut the mustard.

Speaking of which, I'm quite fond of bacon rolls.

I enjoy bovine and ovine liver, I eat no pig products and when I visit poultry-keeping friends, they'll sometimes have a home-raised bird for me - or an old hen who's stopped laying ie a boiling fowl.

Boiling chooks make a banging chicken soup... :hungry: Not many places sell them anymore which is a shame, though I've seen them on occasion in Halal butcher shops.

My objection to meat is not livestock rearing/ meat production in and of itself, but rather the increasingly long and stressful journeys which must too often be undertaken for industrial slaughter.
Slaughter should - IMO - be carried out close to home, and long journeys should be on the hook, not on the hoof. I also object to the waste inherent in much 'modern' meat production. What happened to 'using every bit of the pig except the squeak'? Although I suppose the use of meat 'slurry' (aka mechanicall recovered meat) in processed meat products counteracts that somewhat, as does the pet food industry.

To a certain extent, food history gives us a clue - particularly WW2 and post-war rationing, when even the pig's oink went into the meat allowance. Once stuff came off ration, people wanted the desirable cuts of meat rather than the offal and pot luck pieces that they'd had since 1940. Rabbit suffered much the same fate, the "we don't want that as we can buy better." And so it kind of develops that "squick factor" for a lot of people.

Then of course, the advent of intensive farming methods, particularly for poultry. It made what was an expensive meat much more affordable, but of course at the expense of welfare and quality.

You don't see the cheaper / more interesting cuts of meat on a supermarket shelf, whereas I can get things like ox cheek and pigs' trotters, lamb hearts and locally sourced rabbits in the local butcher.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'll eat most things, be it meat, veggie or vegan.
Occasionally, I'll go several days not eating meat but only because I've been on salads or pasta.

PK99

Legendary Member
Imagine going to all that trouble for such an uninteresting result.......

It's not dull if cooked properly. It is actually a great vehicle for flvours
Cook in nice stock with herbs and spices.

Plain boiled rice and potatoes are dull as ditchwater!

Top Bottom